BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ontada®, a McKesson business dedicated to leveraging oncology real-world data and evidence, clinical education, and provider technology, was awarded a competitive contract with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to advance the use of real-world data (RWD) in the U.S. community oncology setting. The research aims to strengthen the scientific understanding of the natural history of rare cancers by leveraging Ontada’s community oncology footprint, unique RWD, and experience in real-world research (RWR).
The goal of the study is to enhance understanding of how patients with rare cancers present and are treated in order to inform drug development for life sciences companies and the FDA. Study objectives include:
- Identifying pivotal components of the community oncology patient’s journey impacting treatment decisions, patient outcomes, and the relationship of patient characteristics to the patient’s journey.
- Describing the patient journey in the community cancer setting relative to national registries and other public data sources.
- Identifying insights to inform care and clinical research.
Real-world data and clinical context are paramount to fuel future research in oncology. A deeper understanding of how rare cancers are treated in the community oncology setting requires a line of sight into what is happening in clinical practice. Ontada’s unique data footprint will allow the FDA to further its understanding of a patient population with rare cancers that historically has been underrepresented in studies.
Ontada is uniquely qualified to study the rare cancer journey because of its deep connection with the largest network of community oncology providers in the U.S. That connection allows Ontada to provide a robust view by leveraging approximately 2.4 million patient records from a diverse group of patients.
“We’re honored to have the opportunity to collaborate with the FDA to gain a deeper understanding into a space we are devoted to advancing and serving - community oncology,” said Christine Davis, president of Ontada. “It is exciting to see where this research will take us as it aligns with our mission of transforming the fight against cancer and improving patient lives.”
To learn more about Ontada and the transformative work being done in community oncology, visit https://www.ontada.com/.
Ontada is an oncology technology and insights business dedicated to transforming the fight against cancer. Part of McKesson Corporation, Ontada was founded on the core belief that precise insights – delivered exactly at the point of need – can save more patients’ lives. We connect the full patient journey by combining technologies used by The US Oncology Network and other community oncology providers with real-world data and research relied on by all top 15 global life sciences companies. Our work helps accelerate innovation and powers the future of cancer care. For more information, visit ontada.com.
About McKesson Oncology and Specialty Solutions
It’s an unprecedented time for patients living with cancer as life sciences companies race to create new, cutting-edge therapies. With cancer care becoming more targeted, providers, life sciences companies, and payers face a multitude of challenges and complexity in the development of new treatments and making them accessible to patients in need. At McKesson, our unmatched portfolio of oncology businesses and partners provide research, insights, technologies, and services that are helping to address these hurdles and improve cancer and specialty care.
- McKesson is fueling discovery by helping patients participate in cutting-edge clinical trials closer to home through the joint venture between US Oncology Research and Sarah Cannon Research Institute.
- The US Oncology Network and McKesson Provider Solutions are advancing specialty care and high-quality cancer care in the communities where patients live by supporting the practices of thousands of independent, community-based providers.
- Ontada®, a McKesson business dedicated to oncology, generates real-world data (RWD) and real-world evidence (RWE) and provides clinical education and provider technology to inform and improve cancer care.
- As one of the largest distributors of oncology and specialty medicines, we are ensuring medicines make their way to those who are counting on them.
- And through CoverMyMeds, Biologics by McKesson, and GPO services, our work continues to help patients access, afford, and adhere to their medicines.