LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Greenberg Glusker today announced that Partner Steven J. Lurie has been named one of the “Top 100 - California’s Leading Attorneys of 2010” by the Daily Journal, the leading legal newspaper in California. Published annually, the Daily Journal’s list is a selection of the 100 most influential lawyers in California. Members of the 200,000 person California legal community nominated nearly 1,000 of their colleagues in private practice, academia and public service for this year’s list, which was then compiled by members of the newspaper’s editorial staff. The Daily Journal cited Lurie’s success in assisting clients expand their property portfolios at a time when most real estate attorneys are focused on just helping clients hold on to their portfolios. The paper also noted Lurie’s creativity in workouts and loan modifications, including negotiating a 40 percent discount on a performing loan secured by a significant LA-area shopping center.
“This is the first time an attorney in our firm has received this prestigious honor,” said Greenberg Glusker real estate Partner Stephen Claman, Lurie’s mentor when he first joined the firm 22 years ago. “Steve continues to bring truly exceptional legal and business advice to clients pursuing unprecedented opportunities, and to clients who are weathering the storm. We congratulate him on this deserved recognition.”
Lurie is a long-term adviser to leading real property players including Majestic Realty Co., Transpacific Development Co., American Golf, ValleyCrest Companies, and shopping center developer J.S. Rosenfield & Co. Lurie’s practice also includes representing clients in the golf course industry. He has advised clients on more than 200 sale, purchase, lease, management agreement and other transactions in this sector.
In addition to this recent accolade, in the past year Lurie was named by California Real Estate Journal as one of an "elite group" of "California Dealmakers," and was included in the Los Angeles Business Journal's "Who's Who in Real Estate" special report. This wide recognition reflects an active recent past for Lurie. He handled transactions with a cumulative value of approximately $1.5 billion since January, 2009, and several of his deals ranked among the “largest” in their categories at the time of closing. Steve has:
- Represented Majestic Realty Co. in 17 industrial and retail property loan transactions over the past year that total more than $250 million
- Represented ValleyCrest Companies, one of the nation’s largest landscape maintenance and construction companies, in its September 2010 purchase of a foreclosed property in Florida
- Represented Canongate Golf in its 2010 acquisitions of Black Bear Golf Club and Blackstone Country Club in Colorado
- Closed a $48 million senior secured loan transaction for a Southern California office building owner in February 2010
- Advised Transpacific Development Company in its June 2009 acquisition of a 270,000 square foot office complex in Orange County, California from Ford Motor Company; the total transaction was valued at approximately $73 million
- Represented an affiliate of J.S. Rosenfield & Co. in its January 2009, $65 million acquisition of Larkspur Landing Shopping Center, a 173,000 square-foot retail center in Marin County adjacent to the Larkspur Ferry terminal
“I am honored and humbled to be included in this outstanding group of professionals,” said Lurie. “It is gratifying to help my clients achieve their objectives – whether they seek stewardship during challenging times or to maximize strategic opportunities – and to know that I have earned their trust as well as the respect of my colleagues.”
Lurie earned his undergraduate degree in business from the University of California Berkeley and his JD from University of California Berkeley’s Boalt Hall School of Law. He serves as pro bono counsel to the Maple Counseling Center, and he is a member of the board of directors of the City of Hope Los Angeles Real Estate Council.