SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) today announced that it has secured the naming rights to the new home of Seattle’s NHL team and WNBA’s Seattle Storm, and is calling it Climate Pledge Arena rather than the name of the company. In 2019, Amazon and Global Optimism announced The Climate Pledge, which calls on signatories to be net zero carbon across their businesses by 2040—a decade ahead of the Paris Agreement. With significant investment from Amazon and Oak View Group, the venue is expected to be the first net zero carbon certified arena in the world and set a new sustainability bar for the sports and events industry.
“We’ve secured naming rights to the historic arena previously known as KeyArena. Instead of naming it after Amazon, we’re calling it Climate Pledge Arena as a regular reminder of the importance of fighting climate change,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO. “We look forward to working together with Oak View Group, a new Climate Pledge signatory, and NHL Seattle to inspire global climate action.”
“There is no question that the state of our planet is a critical issue for all of us,” said Tim Leiweke, CEO, Oak View Group. “We have a responsibility to future generations to try to leave them with a better world. We love that Amazon is using its naming rights for a cause we care deeply about—this partnership is a visionary step for the facilities business and sport and music industries. Our goal is to be the most progressive, responsible, and sustainable venue in the world. It is not just about one arena—it’s a platform for us to step up and heal our planet.”
Highlights of the arena partnership include:
- First arena in the world targeting net Zero Carbon certification by the International Living Future Institute (ILFI), a leading non-profit organization dedicated to advancing sustainable building practices.
- Arena will have all-electric operations and be powered with 100% renewable electricity, both from on-site solar panels and off-site renewable energy. Events at the arena will be made fully net zero carbon through investments in forestry projects with organizations such as The Nature Conservancy that will sequester any remaining carbon emissions from arena operations.
- Carbon emissions and sustainability performance of the arena and all events will be measured and publicly disclosed.
- All operations and events at the arena will be ‘zero waste’ with durable and compostable containers. A minimum of 95% of all arena waste will be diverted from landfills on a weight basis.
- Arena will use reclaimed rainwater in the ice system to create the greenest ice in the NHL.
- Original 44-million-pound roof from the arena will be reused in construction to significantly reduce the embodied carbon of the building.
- At least 75% of the arena’s food program will be sourced locally on a seasonal basis to support regional farmers and producers, and all viable unused food from events will be donated to local community food programs.
- NHL Seattle and WNBA Storm tickets will double as free public transit passes to promote use of public transportation for attendees, including on the refurbished Seattle Monorail.
- Amazon and OVG will form the Climate Pledge Arena Sustainability Advisory Council in partnership with community groups to support local environmental initiatives.
“Climate Pledge Arena will set a new sustainability standard for sports and event spaces around the world. I commend the commitments from Amazon and Oak View Group to develop this one-of-a-kind venue and inspire climate action,” said Jason F. McLennan, Founder of the International Living Future Institute and CEO of McLennan Design. “The group’s innovative approach and sustainability mindset – embodied by naming the arena after The Climate Pledge – will provide a green, world-class event space at Seattle’s City Center for the region to enjoy for years to come.”
“We have always set out to create the best home ice advantage; now we are innovating to create ice from reclaimed rainwater and the greenest ice in the country,” said Tod Leiweke, CEO, NHL Seattle. “This is going to be the best arena in the NHL and we’re proud that there will be many opportunities for our fans to make a difference nightly. This is truly remarkable and a testament to David Bonderman and our leadership.”
The 18,100-seat multi-purpose venue located at Seattle Center is expected to host 200 events each year, including NHL Seattle, three-time WNBA world champion Seattle Storm, live music and entertainment from the world’s biggest stars, and City of Seattle community events. It is currently undergoing a transformation to construct a brand new arena under the landmark Paul Thiry-designed roof. To learn more about The Climate Pledge and Climate Pledge Arena, visit www.TheClimatePledge.com and www.ClimatePledgeArena.com. For downloadable, high-resolution renderings of the new arena, visit the Climate Pledge Arena section of the Images and Videos page on Amazon’s Press Center.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about.
About Oak View Group (OVG)
Oak View Group (OVG) is a global sports and entertainment company founded by Tim Leiweke and Irving Azoff in 2015. OVG is focused on being a positive disruption to business as usual in the sports and live entertainment industry and currently has 8 divisions across 4 global offices (Los Angeles, New York, London, and Philadelphia). OVG is leading the redevelopment and operations of Climate Pledge Arena at Seattle Center as well as leading arena development projects in Belmont, NY, Austin, TX, and Milan, Italy. OVG Global Partnerships, a division of OVG, is the sales and marketing arm responsible for selling across all OVG Arena Development projects.
About Seattle Hockey Partners
Seattle Hockey Partners (NHL Seattle) is responsible for leading the development activities of the newly awarded Seattle National Hockey League franchise, which is set to play its inaugural season in 2021-22. Visit nhlseattle.com/news for the latest news and information from the team including press releases, multimedia content and the latest hires. Follow NHL Seattle on social media to find out the latest news via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Or search using the hashtag #NHLSeattle.