Global online marketplaces like Alibaba, Amazon, eBay, and Rakuten and their competitors accounted for roughly 50% of online retail sales globally last year and that share is forecast to grow to about two-thirds in the next five years. Marketplace dominance is such that many shoppers start their product search at a marketplace, rather than at an all-purpose search engine or retail shop website, according to the report. Alibaba leads the pack of top online marketplace platforms, with over twice the gross merchandise volume of second-place Amazon in 2016.
Asia leads the global trend toward marketplaces. Surveys cited in the report reflect that many shoppers in China, India and Japan made half or more of their online purchases through marketplaces. Shoppers worldwide point to product variety and price as motivators for turning to marketplace options. Though Alibaba and Amazon are the leaders of this trend, the marketplace space is shared by many platforms such as eBay, Etsy, Wish, and Rakuten and others.
Further, traditional brick and mortar retailers such as Walmart and Sears are expanding their marketplace options online, and there are various regional and country online retail platforms such as MercadoLibre, Flipkart, Allegro and Jumia contributing to the forecast growth.
Questions Answered in this Report
- How much of global online retail sales was generated on marketplaces in 2017 and what is the projection for 2022?
- What role is played by marketplaces in cross-border E-Commerce?
- Why do online shoppers buy from marketplaces instead of retailer websites?
- What are the leading E-Commerce marketplaces worldwide?
- How much gross merchandise volume is generated on Alibaba's marketplaces compared to Amazon's?
Key Topics Covered:
1. Management Summary
2. Global E-Commerce Marketplace Trends
3. Top E-Commerce Marketplaces
- Alibaba Group Holding
- Allegro Group Sp. z oo
- Amazon.com Inc
- ContextLogic Inc.
- eBay Inc
- Etsy Inc.
- Flipkart Online Services Pvt. Ltd.
- JD.com Inc
- Mercadolibre Inc.
- Otto Group
- Rakuten Inc.
- Takealot Online (Pty) Ltd.
- Walmart Inc.
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/bpztt9/global_ecommerce?w=4