SOUTH JORDAN, Utah--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Cricut, the leader in technology products that allow makers to create personalized, professional-quality DIY projects with ease, announced today that Cricut Maker is now available in retail stores and on Cricut.com. Unveiled on August 1, 2017, Cricut Maker is the next-generation smart cutting machine that offers more versatility and better performance for makers of all types.
“Our community of makers inspires us every day with their creativity, and the heart they put into their projects. We couldn’t be prouder to bring them a machine with more possibilities than ever before,” says Ashish Arora, CEO of Cricut. “With Cricut Maker, beginners as well as expert crafters now have the freedom to create an amazing variety of projects, with greater precision, power and control.”
Cricut Maker has the tools and the performance to cut hundreds of materials with unprecedented ease, precision, and safety, from the most delicate paper and fabric, to dense, thick materials like heavy chipboard, matboard and heavy leather. Cricut Maker also cuts traditional craft materials such as cardstock, vinyl and iron-on.
Sewing Projects, Simplified
With its revolutionary new collection of digital sewing patterns in the Cricut library, Cricut Maker takes the time and hassle out of cutting and marking fabric for all kinds of sewing crafts, including quilting. Cricut Design Space® software features hundreds of sewing patterns available to cut instantly today from well-known brands Simplicity® and Riley Blake Designs, with plans to offer patterns from Anna Griffin®. Simply pick a sewing project in the library, and the machine cuts the pattern easily and automatically.
“Cricut Maker takes the intimidating measuring and cutting part of sewing away, making sewing more attainable for beginners and getting to the fun part – the sewing – faster for experts,” said Kim Kanarowski, VP of Product at Cricut. “Because Cricut Maker transforms the find-and-cut process for many patterns from over an hour to minutes, the machine has the potential to revolutionize sewing and other fabric arts for a new generation. People will get to spend more time actually making their projects and seeing their results sooner.”
Expandable Suite of Tools
Cricut Maker has a revolutionary toolset including two new blades, enabling it to cut, write-on, and score more materials than ever before. And, with more tools coming in the future, Cricut Maker is built to grow with makers as they learn new crafts.
- Rotary Blade: Cricut Maker’s groundbreaking Rotary Blade brings customizable, precision fabric cutting to the home for the first time. With its gliding, rolling action, it cuts virtually any fabric without backing material quickly and accurately.
- Knife Blade: Cricut’s equally innovative Knife Blade (commercially, often referred as a tangential blade) cuts through dense materials up to 2.4 mm (3/32”) thick with unprecedented ease and safety, making it ideal for thicker materials like heavy chipboard, matboard, and balsa wood.
- Washable Fabric Pen: With this useful pen, Cricut Maker automatically marks fabric pattern pieces so it’s clear how they fit together.
Adaptive Tool System™
The Adaptive Tool System brings together three major technologies that give Cricut Maker professional-class cutting versatility and performance with everything from crepe paper and fabrics to leather, matboard and balsa wood. First, it delivers much more power, with up to 4 kg of cutting force – 10-times more than Cricut’s best-selling Explore line of products. Second, it uses a sophisticated steering system to actively control the direction of the blade at all times. And third, it intelligently adjusts the pressure of the blade with each cut pass to get a clean cut in even tough materials. As a result, Cricut Maker cuts a wide variety of materials and thicknesses with a level of precision that rivals professional machines costing thousands of dollars.
Pricing and Availability
- Cricut Maker is available for $399.99 at major craft and fabric retailers nationwide and at Cricut.com. Cricut Maker will be available soon in select retail stores in Canada and in the U.K. later this fall.
- Included with Cricut Maker: Rotary Blade + Drive Housing, Premium Fine-Point Blade + Housing, Fine-Point Pen, FabricGrip™ Mat, LightGrip™ Mat, Welcome book, USB cable, Power adapter, Cricut Access™ free trial membership, 50 free ready-to-make projects (including 25 sewing patterns), and materials for a practice project.
- Technical requirements for Cricut Maker: A compatible computer or mobile device and a Broadband Internet connection.
- The Knife Blade and Washable Fabric Pen will be sold separately in retail stores and at Cricut.com. The Knife Blade is expected to be available later this year. Cricut Washable Fabric Pens are available now at major craft and fabric retailers and on Cricut.com.
To learn more about Cricut Maker and its features visit Cricut.com.
Cricut helps people everywhere live creative lives by providing the tools they need to make beautiful, high-quality DIY projects quickly and easily. The inventor of the smart cutting machines category, Cricut offers the new Cricut MakerTM and industry-leading Cricut Explore® machines, plus Cricut Design Space™ software for laying-out designs and accessing a huge library of projects, a variety of crafting tools and accessories, and a diverse range of vinyl, iron-on and other materials. Cricut products can be found at most major craft stores and online. The Cricut brand is owned by Provo Craft & Novelty, Inc. based in Utah. Learn more at Cricut.com.