-

As Strike Continues, OCEU Sends Letter to Ministers and Engages in Productive Discussion with Labour Minister Piccini

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As the WSIB strike enters its second month, there is renewed hope for progress. The Ontario Compensation Employees Union (OCEU/CUPE 1750) has sent a formal letter to Labour Minister David Piccini and Treasury Board President Caroline Mulroney, urging them to end government interference in bargaining and help bring a fair resolution to the ongoing labour dispute.

Encouragingly, during an information picket held Thursday outside Minister Piccini’s Seniors Seminar in Port Hope, OCEU President, Harry Goslin, had a productive and constructive conversation with the Minister.

“We had a sincere discussion, and I’m hopeful that Minister Piccini will use his role to help bring the employer back to the table,” said Harry Goslin, President of OCEU/CUPE 1750. “WSIB workers are ready to get back to doing the work they care about — serving injured workers and protecting Ontario’s compensation system. We just need a fair offer we can bring to our members.”

In the letter sent this week, OCEU warned that behind-the-scenes directives from the Treasury Board and continued political silence have contributed to a prolonged strike, delaying critical care and services for injured workers and increasing pressure on frontline staff. The union is calling on the government to allow the process to move forward free of political interference.

Despite being employer-funded — not taxpayer-funded — WSIB has so far refused to table a fair deal or let members vote on its latest offer. But the union is hopeful that renewed dialogue with Minister Piccini will mark a turning point.

“We’re optimistic that with political will and leadership, a final offer can be brought forward that puts an end to this disruption,” said Goslin. “Our members want to return to work — and they deserve a respectful deal that reflects the essential services they provide.”

OCEU continues to push for an immediate return to meaningful negotiations and urges both ministers to help restore stability and fairness to Ontario’s workers’ compensation system.

pp/cope491

Contacts

Bill Chalupiak
CUPE Communications Representative
wchalupiak@cupe.ca
416-707-1401

CUPE


Release Versions

Contacts

Bill Chalupiak
CUPE Communications Representative
wchalupiak@cupe.ca
416-707-1401

More News From CUPE

CUPE Alberta calls for an election, says Smith’s referendum is a dangerous distraction from government’s mismanagement of public services

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta is condemning Premier Danielle Smith’s announcement of an anti-immigrant referendum that seeks permission for her government to make it harder for Albertans to vote. “She should get back to work and focus on the issues that actually matter to Albertans,” said CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal. “Albertans are facing actual crises in health care, in our classrooms, with the cost of living, and with jobs. Instead of taking accountability and fixing any of...

Dalhousie’s Part-Time Architecture Faculty Join CUPE 3912

HALIFAX, NS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3912 is pleased to announce that part-time faculty in the Architecture Department at Dalhousie University (Dal) are officially members of our Local as of January 14, 2026, retroactive to November 2025. Architecture was one of only four departments at Dalhousie previously exempted from the part-time faculty collective agreement. With this change, only part-time faculty in Computer Science, Engineering, and Law remain o...

CUPE Nova Scotia: “Long Term Care Is Dying, and Houston Is Letting It Happen”

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, President of CUPE Nova Scotia Alan Linkletter sent a letter to Premier Houston calling on this conservative government to stop ignoring the hardworking long term care workers of this province and offer them a fair deal instead of lining the pockets of private companies. “Since Houston entered office, we have been overrun with examples of his government offering up millions of dollars in contracts to private companies instead of using that same money...
Back to Newsroom