-

OCEU/CUPE 1750 to Hold Media Availability Ahead of May 16th Strike Deadline

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The union representing workers at the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) were surprised when their employer filed to terminate the Collective Agreement effective May 16th. The employer had its bargaining mandate for only 2 bargaining dates when management filed this request with the ministry, even as good-faith proposals presented by the union were being tabled.

The members of CUPE local 1750 are struggling with unreasonable workloads. Where the WSIB management sees only case numbers, the dedicated case managers, nurses, return to work specialists, health & safety specialists and other crucial workers see the people dealing with serious injuries that impact their daily lives. Except they’re not given enough time or resources. They used to get six months training. Now, it’s barely three with double the caseloads. These dangerously high workloads, coupled with a toxic work environment are impacting the members of CUPE local 1750’s own health, with instances of depression and anxiety almost double the national average. This slows down their ability to help and makes accessing the benefits injured workers rely on much more difficult.

The employer’s failure to negotiate with us tells us one thing loud and clear; they want to break our union, decrease permanent jobs and not address work overload. This is a continuation of a troubling trend among public sector employers negotiating in Doug Ford’s Ontario, undermining workers’ rights and cutting essential services for Ontarians.

Our members want to help the people of Ontario who need us, but the employer would rather force us to strike or lock us out. Our members deserve a fair deal, and a healthy workplace. We are prepared to fight to make that happen. We all deserve that; we are in it for you.

WHAT:

Media Availability

 

WHO:

Harry Goslin, President of OCEU/CUPE local 1750;

 

Fred Hahn, President of CUPE Ontario;

 

Laura Walton, President of the Ontario Federation of Labour;

 

MPP Lise Vaugeois, NDP Critic for WSIB and Injured Workers;

 

MPP Jamie West, NDP Critic for Labour

 

 

WHY:

To provide a bargaining update for injured Ontario workers who rely on our members to

 

access their benefits.

 

 

WHEN:

9:30 AM Tuesday, May 13th, 2025

 

WHERE:

Queen’s Park media gallery

mb/cope491

Contacts

For more information, please contact:
Bill Chalupiak, CUPE Communications Representative
416-707-1401
wchalupiak@cupe.ca

Canadian Union of Public Employees


Release Versions

Contacts

For more information, please contact:
Bill Chalupiak, CUPE Communications Representative
416-707-1401
wchalupiak@cupe.ca

More News From Canadian Union of Public Employees

CUPE Alberta calls for an election, says Smith’s referendum is a dangerous distraction from government’s mismanagement of public services

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta is condemning Premier Danielle Smith’s announcement of an anti-immigrant referendum that seeks permission for her government to make it harder for Albertans to vote. “She should get back to work and focus on the issues that actually matter to Albertans,” said CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal. “Albertans are facing actual crises in health care, in our classrooms, with the cost of living, and with jobs. Instead of taking accountability and fixing any of...

Dalhousie’s Part-Time Architecture Faculty Join CUPE 3912

HALIFAX, NS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3912 is pleased to announce that part-time faculty in the Architecture Department at Dalhousie University (Dal) are officially members of our Local as of January 14, 2026, retroactive to November 2025. Architecture was one of only four departments at Dalhousie previously exempted from the part-time faculty collective agreement. With this change, only part-time faculty in Computer Science, Engineering, and Law remain o...

CUPE Nova Scotia: “Long Term Care Is Dying, and Houston Is Letting It Happen”

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, President of CUPE Nova Scotia Alan Linkletter sent a letter to Premier Houston calling on this conservative government to stop ignoring the hardworking long term care workers of this province and offer them a fair deal instead of lining the pockets of private companies. “Since Houston entered office, we have been overrun with examples of his government offering up millions of dollars in contracts to private companies instead of using that same money...
Back to Newsroom