-

Sunwing Flight Attendants Speak out Against Quebec City Base Closure

QUÉBEC--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Flight attendants at Sunwing, represented by CUPE 8125, are speaking out against WestJet's decision to close their base in Quebec City after acquiring and merging its operations with Sunwing in 2024.

On March 17, members of CUPE 8125 joined Sunwing pilots represented by the Air Line Pilots Association at a press conference in Quebec City to encourage WestJet to retain its base in Quebec City.

Dominique Côté, a flight attendant with 18 years experience at Sunwing, underlined the choice that the airline is forcing workers with years of dedicated service to make: either uproot and relocate their families 300km away, commute three hours to work without pay, or quit.

Côté also highlighted the impact on Quebec City and surrounding communities, in particular the loss of language supports for the majority francophone population who travel out of Quebec City. The ability of flight attendants to communicate with passengers in their mother tongue also means passengers are better able to understand instructions from the flight crew.

"Our passengers deserve to understand, and they deserve to be understood,” said Côté. “The fact that we can address our passengers in French helps foster respect. Passengers trust us, so they’re more inclined to respect the guidelines, almost like they’re part of the family.”

The statistics don't lie: Côté pointed out that incidences of non-compliance on board are virtually non-existent in flights operated out of Quebec City, resulting in a safer flying environment for all. "We firmly believe that the bond between crew and passengers plays a role in making it that way," said Côté.

CUPE and ALPA are calling on WestJet to reverse their decision, respect the success story that has been built over decades at the Sunwing Quebec City base, and keep a crew base open in Quebec City.

Contacts

Hugh Pouliot
CUPE Communications
613-818-0067
hpouliot@cupe.ca

Canadian Union of Public Employees


Release Versions

Contacts

Hugh Pouliot
CUPE Communications
613-818-0067
hpouliot@cupe.ca

More News From Canadian Union of Public Employees

CUPE holds solidarity rally outside Villa Marconi, amid growing pile-up in the laundry department

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The residents of Villa Marconi are running out of clean laundry, and it is due to negligent policy making by management. In June, members of CUPE 4793 held an information picket outside the long-term care facility on Baseline Road to call out the callous layoffs in the laundry and environmental services department. Since then, management has cut hours for union workers and begun a campaign of retaliation and harassment against union members. Workers have been sent home...

CUPE, ONA and OPSEU to rally against 101 job cuts at the Queensway-Carleton Hospital in Ottawa, as provincial hospital funding cuts hit patient care

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In July, the Queensway-Carleton announced that it would be cutting 101 jobs at the hospital, including 87 nurses, seven housekeepers, and four emergency department personal care aides. The hospital is citing insufficient funding amidst rising costs of operations including drugs, salaries, and supplies. CUPE is joining forces with the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) and OPSEU to hold a rally on August 19 to demand that the hospital reverse the cuts. They are also calli...

Ottawa’s Inaction Lets Smith Destroy Health Care

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal is calling out the Liberal government in Ottawa for its inaction while the UCP dramatically expands private, patient paid health care in the province. “It’s been almost a year since the UCP passed Bill 11, allowing wealthy patients to buy their way to the front of the line for health care services,” said Uppal. “After all that time, Minister Michel this week sent a sternly worded note to the province asking them to change direction...
Back to Newsroom