CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ventas, Inc. (NYSE: VTR) (“Ventas” or the “Company”) today released its 2022-2023 Corporate Sustainability Report (CSR), which showcases the Company’s commitment and progress toward achieving its ambitious environmental, social and governance priorities across its portfolio of approximately 1,400 properties. The full report is available at www.ventasreit.com/csr2023.
“Our commitment to rigorous environmental, social and governance practices supports the growth of our successful enterprise built on serving the needs of a large and growing aging population,” said Debra A. Cafaro, Ventas Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “We have made significant progress toward achieving our goals, which has benefitted our investors and employees, as well as our industry, our business relationships and our communities.”
The CSR outlines Ventas’s ESG priorities as they relate to the issues that are most impactful to the Company and its investors, employees and broader stakeholder groups:
- Enabling Sustainable Environments and Strong Communities: Ventas is taking concrete steps to increase energy efficiency and reduce its use of resources, transition to renewable energy, promote the safety of its buildings, pursue a sustainable growth strategy and be a driving force of shared success within communities. In 2022, Ventas became the first healthcare REIT to commit to net zero operational carbon emissions and has built and implemented detailed decarbonization plans to meet its goal by 2040.
- Empowering Exceptional People: Ventas continues to invest in and empower the best talent across disciplines – encouraging collaboration, recognizing individuals for their unique strengths and continually enhancing employee resources, all while upholding a strong commitment to an equitable and inclusive environment that celebrates diversity in all its forms.
- Leading in Governance and Transparency: The Company’s success is grounded in a strong foundation of best-in-class corporate governance and transparency. Ethics and integrity stand as the guiding principles for Ventas and its outstanding, independent, engaged and fit-for purpose Board of Directors, as together they and advance their objective of creating long-term, sustainable stakeholder value while continuing to position Ventas as an industry leader.
Ventas’s sustainability leadership and accomplishments have earned global recognition, including:
- #1 Listed Healthcare REIT in Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark Assessment since 2017
- 2023 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence in Energy Management Award, the program’s highest honor, and ranking among the top 15 ENERGY STAR certifiers of 2022
- Fourth consecutive year on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, representing the top 10% of global companies based on long-term economic, environmental and social criteria and sixth consecutive year in North America
- Fourth consecutive year on the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index (GEI)
- Bronze Award Winner in Nareit’s 2022 Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Awards
- Seven-time winner of Nareit’s Leader in the Light Award, recognizing companies that demonstrate superior sustainability practices
About the Report
The Ventas Corporate Sustainability Report is based on the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Framework, which is used to report about an organization’s impacts on the economy, the environment and society using ESG metrics. Additionally, Ventas has incorporated additional climate disclosures aligned with the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) recommendations and the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The full Ventas CSR report and additional information about the Company’s ESG initiatives are available at www.ventasreit.com/csr2023.
Ventas Inc., an S&P 500 company, operates at the intersection of two large and dynamic industries – healthcare and real estate. Fueled by powerful demographic demand from growth in the aging population, Ventas owns or has investments in a highly diversified portfolio of approximately 1,400 properties in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Ventas uses the power of its capital to unlock the value of senior housing communities, outpatient medical buildings, research centers, hospitals and other healthcare facilities. A globally-recognized real estate investment trust, Ventas follows a successful long-term strategy, proven over more than 20 years, built on diversification of property types, capital sources and industry leading partners, financial strength and flexibility, consistent and reliable growth and industry leading ESG achievements, managed by a collaborative and experienced team dedicated to its stakeholders.