BOULDER, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Uplight, the technology partner of energy providers transitioning to the clean energy ecosystem, announced today that it has reached more than 330,000 grid-connected devices under management—a milestone enabling utilities to scale their decarbonization journeys and better engage with customers to deliver more affordable, more reliable and cleaner energy.
The company enrolled more than 3,000 devices per week in the second half of 2022, a 150% increase compared to 2021. This is the equivalent of 50 megawatts (MW) of incremental flexible load, or one fewer peaker plant, every four months.
The enrollment achievement comes two years after receiving a strategic investment from a consortium of investors and as the company continues to scale and solidify its performance for its utility clients. Uplight launched 34 client projects in 2022, all while achieving a 40% efficiency gain in speed to launch.
By enabling its utility clients to enroll energy customers’ grid-connected devices—such as smart thermostats, electric vehicle (EV) chargers and water heaters—in critical programs at the point of purchase, Uplight is accelerating progress toward greater demand management, load flexibility and decarbonization goals.
With summer heat waves continuing to increase in frequency and intensity, Uplight responded with a record number of demand response events in 2022. During these events, Uplight shifted an estimated 766 MW of energy to save consumers money while avoiding the use of peaker plants. This equates to the capacity needed to power a city the size of Dallas.
The momentum is spearheaded by CEO Luis D’Acosta who was appointed at the end of September 2022 to propel Uplight’s next phase of growth. With D’Acosta at its helm, the company has reaffirmed its commitment to dynamically and reliably delivering solutions that drive meaningful results for its utility clients.
“When we talk about bringing energy providers and their customers together to accelerate the energy transition, device enrollment is the metric to rule them all—but not all enrollments are created equal,” said D’Acosta. “Uplight’s biggest strength in the market is our ability to use insights to understand and engage with energy customers, no matter where they join us on their energy journey. By blending our unique combination of digital and human insights, we’re able to unlock transformational engagement for utilities.”
In 2022, Uplight added significant functionality to its unified data platform, including robust data ingest traceability, externalization capabilities and error reporting. With these improvements, the platform is ready to scale by orders of magnitude. Three new insights APIs were also added to Uplight's developer platform, allowing utilities and ecosystem partners to more easily create or enhance digital experiences to drive enrollments into load flexibility and decarbonization programs.
Additional 2022 highlights include:
- Achieving a record holiday sales season for the company’s Marketplace solution
- Launching the EV Solution Suite, a comprehensive, end-to-end set of software solutions for utilities to drive customer adoption and grid-friendly charging solutions for electric utility customers
Securing key collaborations and partnerships, including:
- Qmerit to allow utilities to bundle EV charging installations with other offers
- GridX to enable utilities to help energy customers better understand the bill impacts of their energy decisions and actions
- Rolling Energy Resources (RER) in 2023 to create a complete EV grid edge solution that enables utilities to best engage EV customers and manage grid load—thanks to data coming directly from vehicle telematics
- Establishing Uplight’s Professional Services organization, enabling Uplight to accelerate scale and standardization of offerings, all while being able to address specific needs of key clients
- Building award-winning programs for clients, including two recognized by CS Week’s Expanding Excellence Awards for Digital Customer Engagement and one by the Smart Electric Power Alliance (SEPA) Utility Transformation Award
- Driving a continued culture of innovation, Uplight was named to Fast Company’s fourth annual Best Workplaces for Innovators list
Uplight also successfully completed the B Corporation (B Corp) recertification process, cementing its dedication toward accelerating the clean energy ecosystem, as well as creating a more sustainable future for the environment, communities, customers, suppliers, employees and shareholders. First certified as a B Corp in 2019, Uplight received a 35.4% increase in its marks in the B Impact Assessment, exceeding B-Corp benchmarks for its sector and size overall and in all five sub-categories.
Uplight is the technology partner for energy providers and the clean energy ecosystem. Uplight’s software solutions connect energy customers to the decarbonization goals of power providers while helping customers save energy and lower costs, creating a more sustainable future for all. Using the industry’s only comprehensive customer-centric technology suite and critical energy expertise across disciplines, Uplight is streamlining the complex transition to the clean energy ecosystem for more than 80 electric and gas utilities around the world. By empowering energy providers to achieve critical outcomes through data-driven customer experiences, delivering control at the grid edge, creating new revenue streams and optimizing existing load and assets, Uplight shares a mission with its clients to make energy more sustainable for every community. Uplight is a certified B Corporation. To learn more, visit us at www.uplight.com, find us on Twitter @Uplight or on LinkedIn at Linkedin.com/company/uplightenergy.