TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Interaxon Inc. (Muse®), a leading consumer neurotechnology and meditation company, today announced the launch of the second generation of its popular EEG meditation & sleep headband, Muse S. This updated plush brain-sensing headband uses real-time biofeedback to help you learn the art of mediation as well as help you fall asleep, stay asleep and now go back to sleep if you awaken during the night.
Alongside the launch of the updated Muse S headband, Interaxon is launching an intelligent new kind of EEG-powered sleep experience that is designed to help put you to sleep and guide you back to sleep if you’ve woken during the night.
Interaxon has been excited to offer this never-before-seen sleep intervention after building on their successful release of sleep content & EEG sleep tracking insights to support healthy sleep habits. A recent 2021 study led by Western University, Cambridge Brain Science, Hatch, and Interaxon that used Muse S EEG-sleep support technology showed a 20% improvement in the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index, relative to controls wanting to improve their sleep.
“For many of us, increasingly busy days translate into busy minds at night and restless sleep. While sleep tracking can be helpful to gain insights on trends and changes in your sleep quality, tracking your sleep doesn’t provide immediate relief when you need it most,” said Walter Greenleaf, Chief Science Officer at Interaxon (Muse®). “According to the CDC, more than a third of American adults are not getting enough sleep on a regular basis with less than seven hours per day.1 This innovative new solution can help users get the rest they need to improve their overall wellness with a non-pharmaceutical sleep aid.”
Digital Sleeping Pills (DSPs)
Muse Digital Sleeping Pills or DSPs are designed to help you through the wind-down process by responding to your brain’s rhythms and helping you disengage from your busy mind. Muse S detects the natural changes in your brain activity as you fall asleep and uses those changes to gently fade out your audio to cue your brain that it’s time for sleep. If you wake in the night, Muse S uses the same Smart-Fade technology to automatically fade in the DSP content to guide you back to sleep again.
Sleep content preferences can vary widely from person to person. Some people are looking for a more engaging story to keep their mind from getting stuck in ruminating thoughts, while others may find a story too exciting to fall asleep to and prefer a softer, guided meditation or ambient soundscape. Depending on what type of content helps you fall asleep best, you can select a variety of different DSP’s to help you on your journey including all-new:
- Original, Classic, and Adventure Sleep Stories that have a voice narration of some of your favorite childhood stories & a variety of new original stories
- Ambient Sleep Soundscapes that offer soothing ambient music and harmonized sounds without a voice narrative
- Biofeedback Sleep Soundscapes that offer nature sounds and music that respond to biofeedback without a voice narrative
- Guided Sleep Meditations that have a meditation teacher guide you through a relaxing sleep meditation
In addition to the advanced EEG technology that Muse® is known for, the all-new second-generation Muse® S has improved signal quality for increased accuracy and enhanced battery performance with up to 50% reduction in charging time. Additionally, improved fit for a wider range of head sizes has been achieved with the same comfortable, adjustable, and washable fabric band.
Pricing and Availability
Muse® S (Gen 2) is now available for $399.99 USD at www.choosemuse.com and will be available on Amazon North America starting in 2022. Both first and second-generation Muse® S headbands will have access to the new Digital Sleep Pill (DSP) features free of charge with Gen 1 users gaining access in December of 2021.
To unlock Biofeedback+ and unlimited access to 500+ meditations with new content released monthly, you can subscribe to the Muse Premium Subscription for $12.99 USD per month or $94.99 USD per year.
In addition to a rich content library of more than 500 meditations from renowned meditation teachers, unlock access to a variety of relaxation techniques, Go-to-Sleep soundscapes, and in-depth courses with step-by-step instructions, such as The Sleep Basics course by Dr. Shelby Harris, an expert in behavioral sleep medicine. Additionally, you’ll have access to Biofeedback+ which is designed to allow you to see how your brain and body responds to external content whether it be music in Spotify, Audiobooks, or meditations in Headspace.
Now available at www.choosemuse.com.
About Muse® by Interaxon Inc.:
At Muse®, our team of neuroscientists, meditation teachers, and engineers based out of Toronto who develop state-of-the-art experiences using research-grade EEG technology. Our goal is to help individuals build a rewarding meditation practice and live healthier, happier, more connected lives through human-centered technology. Our award-winning neurofeedback devices, and premium content offering of guided meditations with responsive learning functionality, is designed to help users meditate by providing real-time audio feedback on their meditative state through the Muse® companion app. We make the intangible, tangible. Muse is headquartered in Toronto, Canada, and has subsidiaries in the U.S. and Ireland.
More information about Muse® is available at www.choosemuse.com.
Milestones we’re excited about:
- More than 500,000 Musers globally
- Accessible: Muse is available in four languages, including English, Spanish, French and German
- Sessions of meditation with Muse®: Over 100 million minutes to date and currently one of the largest brain data (EEG) collections in the world.
- Research institutions using Muse®: The Mayo Clinic, NASA, Harvard, MIT, U of T, UCL, UCSD, Inria, UVic, UBC, and many more.
- Meditating with Muse® works: Muse has been used in over 200 published studies, including Mayo Clinic who demonstrated meditating with Muse increases quality of life, and decreases stress and fatigue in cancer patients.
- Untangle Podcast: With more than 7 million plays, Untangle hosts Patricia Karpas and Ariel Garten interview thought-provoking authors, experts and leaders in areas related to mindfulness, sleep, neuroscience, brain health practices, and more.