BETHESDA, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--JBG SMITH, (NYSE: JBGS), a leading owner and developer of high-quality, mixed-use properties in the Washington, DC market, today released its annual Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Report, highlighting the accomplishments achieved across its operating portfolio in 2020.
Notable achievements and metrics in the report include:
- 5-Star rated GRESB Sector Leader in Diversified Office Residential
- Newly defined performance targets for reduction in energy, water, carbon emissions, embodied carbon, and waste
- Delivered first on-site solar project, with a commitment to install more within the future development pipeline
- Preserved approximately 1,150 workforce housing units through Washington Housing Initiative Impact Pool across two assets located in Northern Virginia, one in partnership with Amazon
- Launched the JBG SMITH Inclusion Community and the D&I Employee Roundtable series
- Matt Kelly announced as founding member of Nareit’s Dividends Through Diversity, Equity & Inclusion CEO council
- Signed the CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion pledge
- Strengthened the composition of JBG SMITH’s Board of Trustees through the appointment of Phyllis R. Caldwell
- Continued to align JBG SMITH’s ESG reporting to the Sustainable Accounting Standard Board (SASB) and the Task Force on Climate-Related Disclosures (TCFD)
“JBG SMITH has remained laser-focused on our journey towards a carbon neutral portfolio and the actions we must take to reach that goal,” said Kimberly Pexton, Vice President of Sustainability at JBG SMITH. “Through deep financial analysis across both our operational assets and development pipeline, we have identified specific strategic targets. This year’s ESG report emphasizes the planning efforts involved in reaching these goals. In addition to creating a more sustainable company, we continue to prioritize social value through intentional retail leasing strategies, community involvement, and the protection and expansion of green spaces.”
JBG SMITH's Board of Trustees maintains a strong focus on enhancing shareholder value, including aligning ESG priorities with long-term business plans. As such, ESG strategy, climate change risks, and performance data are woven throughout its public disclosure documents and investor communications. This year's report continues to incorporate key performance indicators with the frameworks that support JBG SMITH’s impact on climate change – United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDG's) and Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). In addition, the company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K includes important financial and non-financial disclosures as recommended by SASB and TCFD. JBG SMITH's ESG Report provides specific data as defined by these organizations, including critical performance information regarding the impacts of climate change on its business.
About JBG SMITH
JBG SMITH owns, operates, invests in and develops a dynamic portfolio of mixed-use properties in the high growth and high barrier-to-entry submarkets in and around Washington, DC. Through an intense focus on placemaking, JBG SMITH cultivates vibrant, amenity-rich, walkable neighborhoods throughout the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Over half of JBG SMITH’s holdings are in the National Landing submarket in Northern Virginia, where it serves as the exclusive developer for Amazon’s new headquarters, and where Virginia Tech’s planned new $1 billion Innovation Campus is located. JBG SMITH's portfolio currently comprises 17.3 million square feet of high-growth office, multifamily and retail assets at share, 98% of which are Metro-served. It also maintains a development pipeline encompassing 16.8 million square feet of mixed-use development opportunities. For more information on JBG SMITH please visit www.jbgsmith.com.