-

As Hollywood Prepares for Oscar Weekend, Fired Chateau Marmont Workers and UNITE HERE Local 11 Call Attention to Hotel Boycott with Red Carpet Protest Outside the Awards Show After-Party Hotspot

Protest Comes A Day After Academy Award Nominated Film Director Aaron Sorkin Pulls Film Project from Chateau In Solidarity with Workers

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As Oscar weekend begins, over a hundred protestors--including laid off Chateau Marmont workers-- gathered outside the awards show after-party hotspot to call attention to the snowballing boycott at the hotel.

The action came a day after Oscar-Nominated Director Aaron Sorkin pulled filming of the major production Being the Ricardos, starring Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem, from the hotel due to the ongoing labor dispute, honoring the boycott at the Chateau Marmont.

The protest had an awards show theme to celebrate the decades of service that fired Chateau Marmont workers gave to “Hollywood’s Playground” and that the workers have events planned throughout Oscar weekend calling attention to the boycott at the hotel.

“We applaud Aaron Sorkin, Martin Sheen, Amanda Seyfried and dozens of other celebrities who support the boycott of the Chateau Marmont. It is official: Hollywood has left the Chateau Marmont. They are only coming back when the bartenders, servers, and room attendants return to their jobs and have a workplace free of harassment and abuse,” said Kurt Petersen, Co-President of UNITE HERE Local 11.

Through the highly publicized boycott of the Chateau Marmont, workers are calling on the hotel to demonstrate a commitment to respecting workers’ years of service by rehiring them in accordance with their legal rights and ensuring that all workers—regardless of their race, sex, or background—feel treated with dignity and respect.

“I never really saw myself as a leader but when we were fired I realized I needed to fight back for myself, my coworkers and my family,” said Walter Almendarez, who worked as a bellman at the Chateau Marmont for 26 years.

A growing number of celebrities have endorsed the workers’ call for a boycott, including Jane Fonda, Alfonso Cuarón, Martin Sheen, Tom Morello, Edie Falco, Lena Headey, Constance Zimmer, Nikki Bilderback, Thomas Sadoski, Joshua Oppenhimer, Eliza Dushku, Amanda Seyfried, Christopher Abbott, Sarah Silverman, Daveed Diggs and Alison Pill. Organizations like SAG-AFTRA have also voiced their support for the fired workers.

It has been over a year since the Chateau Marmont fired more than 200 of its workers amid the COVID-19 pandemic, leaving workers who had dedicated decades of their lives to the hotel without job security or company-provided healthcare. Since then, many of the hotel’s workers have spoken out about their experiences working at the hotel, prompting concern from community leaders and the call for a boycott.

According to public records, the Chateau Marmont was approved for a $1.95 million PPP loan on February 5, 2021, and as of April 13 the loan had been disbursed but not paid in full or charged off, according to the SBA. UNITE HERE Local 11 has asked the U.S Small Business Administration to conduct an inquiry to ensure the hotel complies with Paycheck Protection Loan requirements.

UNITE HERE Local 11 is a labor union representing over 32,000 hospitality workers in Southern California and Arizona who work in hotels, restaurants, universities, convention centers, and airports.

Contacts

Maria Hernandez | 623-340-8047 | mhernandez@unitehere11.org

UNITE HERE Local 11


Release Summary
Fired Chateau Marmont Workers and UNITE HERE Local 11 Hold Red Carpet Protest Outside Chateau Marmont A Day After Aaron Sorkin Pulls Film Project
Release Versions

Contacts

Maria Hernandez | 623-340-8047 | mhernandez@unitehere11.org

More News From UNITE HERE Local 11

UNITE HERE Local 11 Releases Letter Urging Greene County Ohio Board of Commissioners and Captain Tony Buschur to Consider Aramark’s Problematic Track Record in Prison Food Service and Award Contract to Alternate Provider

PHOENIX--(BUSINESS WIRE)--UNITE HERE Local 11 urges Greene County, Ohio to consider Aramark’s track record in prison food service and award the contract to another provider....

UNITE HERE Local 11 Sues State Prisons for Withholding Information About Embattled Prison Food Service Contractor Aramark

PHOENIX--(BUSINESS WIRE)--UNITE HERE Local 11, a union representing thousands of Arizona food service workers, filed a lawsuit in state court last Friday against the Arizona prison system for allegedly declining to disclose information about prison food service and the performance of the prison chief food service contractor, Aramark. Aramark is a major contractor for state facilities in Arizona, including ASU and the Phoenix Convention Center. Despite generating nearly $18.5 billion in revenues...

UNITE HERE Local 11: As LAX Welcomes the World, Los Angeles “Truth Commission” Report Documents Systemic Labor Abuses at Airline Caterer Flying Food Group

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With mega-events set to bring tens of millions of visitors through Los Angeles International Airport, a new report endorsed by a distinguished panel of community and labor leaders documents a pattern of serious labor violations at Flying Food Group, an airline catering company that operates under a special license from the City of Los Angeles. The workers at Flying Food Group are represented by UNITE HERE Local 11. The Report of the Los Angeles Truth Commission on...
Back to Newsroom