ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--NCR Corporation (NYSE: NCR), a global leader in omni-channel solutions, announced that it will integrate the Yoti digital identity platform with its NCR FastLane SelfServ™ Checkout solution to help improve the shopping experience for customers buying age restricted items. Retailers in the US and UK are expected to trial the combined solution in the coming months.
Age verification can make up over 50 percent of interventions at self-checkouts impacting checkout time for consumers. To help streamline the checkout process NCR is integrating Yoti’s age verification technology, letting shoppers buy alcohol and other age restricted items, without intervention.
Customers can verify their age in two ways:
- Individuals face the self-checkout’s built-in camera and in a matter of seconds, Yoti age detection technology will determine whether the person is over or under the required age limit for the product they wish to buy. This threshold is configurable by the retailer and is generally ten years above the legal limit.
- Alternatively, customers can use the free Yoti app, which combines their ID document and biometrics, to create a digital identity. People scan a QR code on the self-checkout screen using the Yoti app and share their verified age attribute in seconds.
“Removing the friction of the shopping experience is a primary goal of all our innovations,” said Dusty Lutz, Vice President and General Manager of the NCR Store Transformation Solutions Group. “Integrating the Yoti technology will help reduce the amount of interventions for retailers, and at the same time, help improve the customer experience of self-checkouts.”
Robin Tombs, CEO and Co-Founder Yoti, explained “Waiting for age approval at self-checkouts is a source of frustration for many shoppers, who just want to get home as quickly as possible. Our integration with NCR delivers a frictionless and innovative way for customers to prove their age in seconds. It’s a simple process that helps retailers meet the requirements of regulators worldwide. Customers will spend less time at the self-checkout, and employees can assist with other tasks, improving the overall shopping experience.”
NCR is the global market leader in self-checkout and has been working for 20 years with customers to constantly improve its self-checkout technology, making it more accurate and easy-to-use to provide the best possible shopper experience.
Founded in 2014, Yoti is a global technology company on a mission to become the world’s trusted identity platform. Our free digital identity app, which has over two million installs, is the new, safer way to prove your age on nights out, check out faster with age restricted items at supermarkets and save time and money proving your identity to businesses. It brings safer connections with the people you meet online as well as enabling secure website login with your biometrics instead of remembering passwords. All personal details are secured with 256-bit encryption and Yoti promotes a data minimisation approach. For more information, visit www.yoti.com.
About NCR Corporation
NCR Corporation (NYSE: NCR) is a leader in omni-channel solutions, turning everyday interactions with businesses into exceptional experiences. With its software, hardware, and portfolio of services, NCR enables nearly 700 million transactions daily across financial, retail, hospitality, travel, telecom and technology industries. NCR solutions run the everyday transactions that make your life easier. NCR is headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., with about 30,000 employees and does business in 180 countries. NCR is a trademark of NCR Corporation in the United States and other countries. NCR encourages investors to visit its website which is updated regularly with financial and other important information about NCR.
Notes to editors:
- Findings from NCR self-checkout customers show that about 40-60% of all interventions at self-checkouts are related to age verification.
- If customers choose the camera option to prove their age, their photo is permanently deleted after their age has been verified. They are not identified in any other way.
- If customers choose the Yoti app option, they only share their age with the self-checkout, no other personal details are shared - when you use Yoti to prove your identity you only share the data that is necessary (i.e. name, age or 18+). Yoti’s technology is designed so Yoti’ team cannot identify or track individual users.