LINCOLNSHIRE, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA), the market leader in rugged mobile computers, barcode scanners and barcode printers enhanced with software and services to enable real-time enterprise visibility, today announced that the Truman Medical Centers, an academic health system in Kansas City, selected Zebra’s TC51-HC mobile computer running Cerner Corporation’s (NASDAQ: CERN) CareAware Connect™ solution to streamline care-team communications and clinical workflows designed to increase patient safety through more efficient and effective care.
Truman Medical Centers are comprised of 51 clinics, including two inpatient facilities and a level-one trauma center. To serve the half a million annual visits they receive, nursing staff members previously carried five devices to do their jobs. Today, the nurses carry the TC51-HC mobile computer equipped with CareAware Connect to deliver more efficient and effective bedside care. The staff identified significant time-saving benefits from the deployment of the TC51-HC, which allows caregivers more time to focus on their patients. Nurses are taking 48 percent fewer steps than prior to implementing CareAware Connect on the TC51-HC. Also, time spent disinfecting communication equipment has decreased from 10 minutes to 1 minute.
- According to Zebra’s The Future of Healthcare: 2022 Hospital Vision Study, a lack of real-time patient health information at the bedside is the biggest barrier to achieving optimal patient care in hospitals globally. Additionally, 67 percent of nurse managers credit clinical mobility with improving staff communication, collaboration and quality of patient care.
- By replacing the “nurse toolbelt” (pagers, cameras, laptops and scanning devices) with the TC51-HC mobile computer and CareAware Connect, caregivers can communicate with physicians, family members and other healthcare staff, pull up patient records and critical data and capture high-quality pictures of wounds or other medical issues, all without leaving the patient’s bedside.
- The TC51-HC helps reduce the risk of medical errors by supporting multiple patient safety applications. Nurses can scan patient identification wristbands to validate medication administration, collect specimens, track mother’s milk and ensure patients receive the right blood type prior to a transfusion.
- The TC51-HC mobile computer features purpose-built housing using special plastics that can withstand the rigors of modern infection control procedures. Its advanced data capture capabilities allow healthcare providers to scan barcodes in virtually any condition. It also offers an ultra-high-resolution, rear-facing camera and front-facing camera enabling remote consultation for quicker service.
- Truman Medical Centers also selected Zebra’s QLn220 mobile printer, HC100 desktop printer and the ZT230 tabletop printer and media for printing high-quality barcoded patient wristbands and asset and specimen labels at fast speeds for accurate patient and asset tracking.
- Zebra will be showcasing the TC51-HC mobile computer, among other clinical mobility solutions next week at HIMSS 2018 (Booth #1421) in Las Vegas.
Amy Peters, CNO, Truman Medical Centers
“Zebra’s TC51-HC mobile computers have transformed the workflow of the bedside nurse by putting a safeguard in each of their hands, which can help reduce medical errors. Our caregivers can now better focus on the patient and their needs because CareAware Connect has provided them with better visibility into their operations and allows them on-demand access to relevant patient information.”
Josh Lowery, Senior Director & Solutions Executive, CareAware Connect, Cerner
“Zebra and Cerner collaborated to provide Truman Medical Centers with a solution that replaces five devices with a single communications platform. CareAware Connect helps deliver near-real-time clinical information at the bedside, which can improve the patient experience and drive quality outcomes.”
Chris Sullivan, Global Healthcare Practice Lead, Zebra Technologies
“The global healthcare industry is increasingly turning to clinical mobility technology and automation to improve complex workflows and address highly administrative demands and inaccurate or incomplete information that can create barriers between caregivers and patients. Zebra’s TC51-HC connects the right patient to the right care, providers to essential patient information, and caregivers to colleagues. Ultimately, it’s designed to prevent medical errors, improve patient outcomes and enhance workflow efficiency.”
With the unparalleled operational visibility Zebra (NASDAQ: ZBRA) provides, enterprises become as smart and connected as the world we live in. Real-time information – gleaned from visionary solutions including hardware, software and services – give organizations the competitive edge they need to simplify operations, know more about their businesses and customers and empower their mobile workers to succeed in today’s data-centric world. For more information, visit www.zebra.com or sign up for our news alerts. Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
Cerner’s health information technologies connect people, information and systems at more than 25,000 provider facilities worldwide. Recognized for innovation, Cerner solutions assist clinicians in making care decisions and enable organizations to manage the health of populations. The company also offers an integrated clinical and financial system to help health care organizations manage revenue, as well as a wide range of services to support clients’ clinical, financial and operational needs. Cerner’s mission is to contribute to the systemic improvement of health care delivery and the health of communities. Nasdaq: CERN. For more information about Cerner, visit cerner.com, read our blog at blogs.cerner.com, connect with us on Twitter at twitter.com/cerner and on Facebook at facebook.com/cerner. Our website, blog, Twitter account and Facebook page contain a significant amount of information about Cerner, including financial and other information for investors.
ABOUT TRUMAN MEDICAL CENTERS
Truman Medical Centers (TMC) has all the things you expect from a great health system. With two acute care academic hospital locations, a beautiful new outpatient care facility, the largest, most comprehensive behavioral health program in the area, a long-term care facility and multiple primary care practices, TMC provides the complete continuum of care. We are the primary teaching hospital for the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, so our doctors are academic specialists who teach tomorrow’s doctors the very latest updates in their respective specialties.
ZEBRA and the stylized Zebra head are trademarks of ZIH Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2018 ZIH Corp. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.