-

Porter to close crew bases in Halifax and Thunder Bay

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE 4061, the union representing over 1,250 cabin crew at Porter Airlines, is deeply disappointed and disheartened by the announcement that Porter Airlines will close its crew bases in Halifax and Thunder Bay, a decision that will greatly impact approximately 60 cabin crew that work at those two bases.

Porter has indicated that they have positions for all impacted CUPE members at Toronto City Airport or Ottawa International Airport. Cabin crew members in the two cities will now have a difficult decision to make: either pay to commute to and from work, up to six hours each day, move across the province or country to transfer bases, choose a voluntary temporary layoff for up to 120 months, or choose the early retirement program. As of May 7, cabin crew members will no longer have positions at Halifax and Thunder Bay bases.

"Halifax and Thunder Bay have been important parts of our Porter network for years and our workforce now has deep roots in both communities and the people we serve," said Sarah Seal, President of CUPE 4061. "This is such disappointing news for our members and their families in these communities who now face an uncertain future."

The union has promised to do everything in its capacity to mitigate the impact of Porter's decision on cabin crew members and their families in the months ahead.

Contacts

Hugh Pouliot
CUPE Communications
613-818-0067
hpouliot@cupe.ca

Canadian Union of Public Employees


Release Versions

Contacts

Hugh Pouliot
CUPE Communications
613-818-0067
hpouliot@cupe.ca

More News From Canadian Union of Public Employees

CUPE holds solidarity rally outside Villa Marconi, amid growing pile-up in the laundry department

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The residents of Villa Marconi are running out of clean laundry, and it is due to negligent policy making by management. In June, members of CUPE 4793 held an information picket outside the long-term care facility on Baseline Road to call out the callous layoffs in the laundry and environmental services department. Since then, management has cut hours for union workers and begun a campaign of retaliation and harassment against union members. Workers have been sent home...

CUPE, ONA and OPSEU to rally against 101 job cuts at the Queensway-Carleton Hospital in Ottawa, as provincial hospital funding cuts hit patient care

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In July, the Queensway-Carleton announced that it would be cutting 101 jobs at the hospital, including 87 nurses, seven housekeepers, and four emergency department personal care aides. The hospital is citing insufficient funding amidst rising costs of operations including drugs, salaries, and supplies. CUPE is joining forces with the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) and OPSEU to hold a rally on August 19 to demand that the hospital reverse the cuts. They are also calli...

Ottawa’s Inaction Lets Smith Destroy Health Care

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal is calling out the Liberal government in Ottawa for its inaction while the UCP dramatically expands private, patient paid health care in the province. “It’s been almost a year since the UCP passed Bill 11, allowing wealthy patients to buy their way to the front of the line for health care services,” said Uppal. “After all that time, Minister Michel this week sent a sternly worded note to the province asking them to change direction...
Back to Newsroom