-

CUPE Calls on MPs to Reject Dangerous Airline Deregulation Plan

OTTAWA, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE is urging Members of Parliament to reject the Competition Bureau’s latest report on airline competition, warning it poses serious risks to Canadian jobs, public safety, and national sovereignty.

The report calls for increased foreign ownership of Canadian airlines and the elimination of anti-cabotage rules to allow foreign carriers to operate domestic flights within Canada. CUPE, which represents 18,500 flight attendants, says these proposals would lead to job losses, lower safety standards, and greater control of Canada’s airline industry by foreign interests.

“This is not about giving Canadians more affordable air travel – it’s about handing over control of our skies to Wall Street and foreign corporations,” said CUPE National President Mark Hancock. “Canadians want safe, reliable, and affordable service, not a race to the bottom.”

Despite years of deregulation, the airline industry in Canada has seen the opposite of increased competition and more affordable fares. Instead, Canadians have seen increased airline consolidation, service cuts, and skyrocketing fares, especially in remote regions.

"Workers in this industry know that the Competition Bureau’s recommendations ignore reality in Canada, and they ignore the importance of a Canadian-owned and operated air network, particularly in times of crisis and emergencies, whether it's evacuating people during wildfires or delivering essential goods,” said CUPE National Secretary-Treasurer Candace Rennick. “We can’t afford to hand over that control.”

CUPE is calling on the federal government to shelve the report and instead invest in building a strong, public, Canadian-owned air transport system that ensures safety, accessibility, and good union jobs across the country.

ss/cope491

Contacts

Hugh Pouliot
CUPE Communications
613-818-0067
hpouliot@cupe.ca

Canadian Union of Public Employees


Release Versions

Contacts

Hugh Pouliot
CUPE Communications
613-818-0067
hpouliot@cupe.ca

More News From Canadian Union of Public Employees

CUPE holds solidarity rally outside Villa Marconi, amid growing pile-up in the laundry department

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The residents of Villa Marconi are running out of clean laundry, and it is due to negligent policy making by management. In June, members of CUPE 4793 held an information picket outside the long-term care facility on Baseline Road to call out the callous layoffs in the laundry and environmental services department. Since then, management has cut hours for union workers and begun a campaign of retaliation and harassment against union members. Workers have been sent home...

CUPE, ONA and OPSEU to rally against 101 job cuts at the Queensway-Carleton Hospital in Ottawa, as provincial hospital funding cuts hit patient care

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In July, the Queensway-Carleton announced that it would be cutting 101 jobs at the hospital, including 87 nurses, seven housekeepers, and four emergency department personal care aides. The hospital is citing insufficient funding amidst rising costs of operations including drugs, salaries, and supplies. CUPE is joining forces with the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) and OPSEU to hold a rally on August 19 to demand that the hospital reverse the cuts. They are also calli...

Ottawa’s Inaction Lets Smith Destroy Health Care

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal is calling out the Liberal government in Ottawa for its inaction while the UCP dramatically expands private, patient paid health care in the province. “It’s been almost a year since the UCP passed Bill 11, allowing wealthy patients to buy their way to the front of the line for health care services,” said Uppal. “After all that time, Minister Michel this week sent a sternly worded note to the province asking them to change direction...
Back to Newsroom