-

WSIB Strike Hits Three Weeks as Management and the Ford Government Fails to Act on Mounting Crisis

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today marks three full weeks on strike for 3,600 members of the Ontario Compensation Employees Union (OCEU/CUPE 1750), in the first full-scale work stoppage in the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board’s (WSIB) 110-year history.

As the Ford government continues to ignore calls to resolve the dispute, the impact on injured workers is growing. Internal WSIB communications recently obtained by the union quietly acknowledge growing claim backlogs contradicting public statements from management and raising further concerns about cuts to service standards.

“This crisis didn’t need to happen, and it can be resolved if WSIB and the Ford government show leadership,” said Harry Goslin, President of OCEU/CUPE 1750. “Instead, they’re sitting on the sidelines while injured workers face delays, Ontario jobs are outsourced, and frontline staff are stretched beyond their limits.”

The strike stems from dangerously high workloads, chronic understaffing, stagnant wages, and a toxic workplace culture. Making matters worse, WSIB has offloaded critical Ontario jobs to U.S.-based firms like BetterUp and Iron Mountain, undermining public services and costing local jobs.

“We’re here because our members care deeply about supporting injured workers, but they are workers too,” said Goslin. “They deserve safe workplaces, fair pay, and respect. That’s what this strike is about.”

WSIB has spent over $14.5 million on U.S. consultants while refusing to invest in the frontline services Ontarians depend on. Meanwhile, workers on the picket lines have faced harassment, lockouts, and surveillance rather than a fair offer at the table.

Despite the disruption, OCEU/CUPE 1750 remains ready to negotiate and end the strike, but the employer must stop the intimidation, end the outsourcing, and return to the table with a deal that addresses the core issues.

“This strike can end tomorrow,” said Goslin. “It’s time for WSIB and the Ford government to stop delaying and start fixing what’s broken.”

mb/cope491

Contacts

For more information, or to arrange an interview with a spokesperson, please contact:

Bill Chalupiak
CUPE Communications Representative
wchalupiak@cupe.ca
416-707-1401

CUPE


Release Versions

Contacts

For more information, or to arrange an interview with a spokesperson, please contact:

Bill Chalupiak
CUPE Communications Representative
wchalupiak@cupe.ca
416-707-1401

More News From CUPE

CUPE Alberta calls for an election, says Smith’s referendum is a dangerous distraction from government’s mismanagement of public services

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta is condemning Premier Danielle Smith’s announcement of an anti-immigrant referendum that seeks permission for her government to make it harder for Albertans to vote. “She should get back to work and focus on the issues that actually matter to Albertans,” said CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal. “Albertans are facing actual crises in health care, in our classrooms, with the cost of living, and with jobs. Instead of taking accountability and fixing any of...

Dalhousie’s Part-Time Architecture Faculty Join CUPE 3912

HALIFAX, NS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3912 is pleased to announce that part-time faculty in the Architecture Department at Dalhousie University (Dal) are officially members of our Local as of January 14, 2026, retroactive to November 2025. Architecture was one of only four departments at Dalhousie previously exempted from the part-time faculty collective agreement. With this change, only part-time faculty in Computer Science, Engineering, and Law remain o...

CUPE Nova Scotia: “Long Term Care Is Dying, and Houston Is Letting It Happen”

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, President of CUPE Nova Scotia Alan Linkletter sent a letter to Premier Houston calling on this conservative government to stop ignoring the hardworking long term care workers of this province and offer them a fair deal instead of lining the pockets of private companies. “Since Houston entered office, we have been overrun with examples of his government offering up millions of dollars in contracts to private companies instead of using that same money...
Back to Newsroom