-

Safe Workers = Safe Patrons: Library Workers in Thunder Bay Call for Immediate Action After Another Violent Incident

THUNDER BAY, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Following another violent incident at a Thunder Bay Public Library branch, library workers are calling on their employer to take immediate action for worker and patron safety.

“One of our members was hospitalized after an assault last week, and in the library nothing has changed to protect workers or the public. There was another violent incident at the same branch yesterday. Library management has been incredibly negligent when it comes to health and safety and we can’t wait another day,” said Margaret Demillo, president of CUPE 3120, which represents almost 60 workers at the city’s four library branches.

Between January and March, there were more than 200 incidents at the city’s libraries – a 73 percent increase over the previous quarter. The Brodie branch, which saw the violent assault of a library worker last week, saw a whopping 183 percent increase.

“Management knows there is a problem. The city knows there is a problem. Council saw fit to have security at City Hall to protect themselves, but the people working across the street at the library? They’re left on their own,” Demillo said.

Following the May 26 assault, and months of requests from staff, library management publicly stated they were finally considering security for the Brodie branch. But to date there have been no additional security measures put in place, and no details about how security would work to effectively protect staff and patrons or what is being done at other branches, which are also experiencing higher numbers of incidents of abuse.

CUPE is the union for library workers in Ontario, representing workers at in 67 municipal and university library systems across the province.

Contacts

Craig Saunders, CUPE Communications
416-576-7316

CUPE


Release Versions

Contacts

Craig Saunders, CUPE Communications
416-576-7316

More News From CUPE

CUPE Ontario warns Carney Liberals: Remember what happens when governments try to remove workers’ right to strike

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ontario’s largest union expressed its shock at federal Liberal proposals to designate more workers “essential” as a way of removing their right to strike and it warned Prime Minister Carney that attempts to abrogate workers’ Charter-protected rights to free collective bargaining would be met with fierce resistance from labour. “The Carney Liberals must have the shortest memories ever,” said CUPE Ontario President Fred Hahn. “They appear to have already forgotten that l...

Number of CUPE long term care locals on strike across NS hits 35

HALIFAX, NS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--After six weeks on the picket line, long term care workers continue to show their commitment to their demands. Nearly 3,500 members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) have been on strike since mid April. Workers at MacGillivray Guest House in Sydney are expected to join the strike this week, bringing the total number of striking locals across Nova Scotia to 35. Represented by CUPE 1562, workers will begin their strike on May 22 at 7am at 25 Xavier Dri...

Annapolis Royal municipal workers seek conciliation after bargaining reaches impasse

ANNAPOLIS ROYAL, NS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3552, representing municipal workers with the Town of Annapolis Royal, has reached an impasse in bargaining and has filed for conciliation. Mediators from the province’s Conciliation and Mediation services will meet with the parties on June 16. The workers voted 100 per cent in favour of taking strike action if meaningful improvements are not negotiated at the bargaining table, sending a clear message to Annap...
Back to Newsroom