-

WSIB Workers Hold Media Availability After Collective Bargaining Stalls

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--After weeks of 14-hour days at the bargaining table, the union representing workers at the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) spent the long weekend negotiating with the employer. The bargaining team for OCEU/CUPE 1750 is demanding that the employer take meaningful steps to reduce the dangerously high workloads which are driving up rates of depression and anxiety among their members. The WSIB has given rebates of $4 billion to employers this year but won’t invest any of the remaining billions of dollars of surplus to improve working conditions within the organization or expand access to the 1.56 million workers in Ontario not currently covered by the WSIB.

Despite a promising step to extend the negotiating period to May 21st, the union and the employer remain at an impasse on the fundamental issues impacting over 3600 union members at the WSIB.

“Our members need the employer to work with us to reduce these workloads,” said Harry Goslin, President of OCEU/CUPE 1750. “We came to the table ready to work through these issues and get a deal, but instead we learn the shocking truth that employee health and safety is not a priority.”

The union held a strike vote on May 1st, receiving a 96% yes vote from the members.

“Our members are ready,” said Nicole Francis, Chief Steward of OCEU/CUPE 1750. “The WSIB employees have never had a labour disruption, but the current senior management team seems determined to change that.”

The union bargaining team will hold a media availability outside the WSIB offices at 200 Front Street on May 22nd at noon to update Ontario workers who rely on the members of OCEU/CUPE 1750 to deliver their WSIB benefits.

WHAT:

Rally and Media Availability to update Ontario workers on job action at the WSIB

WHO:

Harry Goslin, President of OCEU/CUPE 1750,

 

Fred Hahn, President of CUPE Ontario,

 

Nicole Francis, Chief Steward for OCEU/CUPE 1750, others

WHEN:

12:00 pm, May 22nd, 2025

WHERE:

200 Front Street, Toronto Ontario

mb/cope491

Contacts

For more information, please contact:
Bill Chalupiak, CUPE Communications Representative
416-707-1401
wchalupiak@cupe.ca

Canadian Union of Public Employees


Release Versions

Contacts

For more information, please contact:
Bill Chalupiak, CUPE Communications Representative
416-707-1401
wchalupiak@cupe.ca

More News From Canadian Union of Public Employees

CUPE Alberta calls for an election, says Smith’s referendum is a dangerous distraction from government’s mismanagement of public services

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta is condemning Premier Danielle Smith’s announcement of an anti-immigrant referendum that seeks permission for her government to make it harder for Albertans to vote. “She should get back to work and focus on the issues that actually matter to Albertans,” said CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal. “Albertans are facing actual crises in health care, in our classrooms, with the cost of living, and with jobs. Instead of taking accountability and fixing any of...

Dalhousie’s Part-Time Architecture Faculty Join CUPE 3912

HALIFAX, NS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3912 is pleased to announce that part-time faculty in the Architecture Department at Dalhousie University (Dal) are officially members of our Local as of January 14, 2026, retroactive to November 2025. Architecture was one of only four departments at Dalhousie previously exempted from the part-time faculty collective agreement. With this change, only part-time faculty in Computer Science, Engineering, and Law remain o...

CUPE Nova Scotia: “Long Term Care Is Dying, and Houston Is Letting It Happen”

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, President of CUPE Nova Scotia Alan Linkletter sent a letter to Premier Houston calling on this conservative government to stop ignoring the hardworking long term care workers of this province and offer them a fair deal instead of lining the pockets of private companies. “Since Houston entered office, we have been overrun with examples of his government offering up millions of dollars in contracts to private companies instead of using that same money...
Back to Newsroom