500 Global selected 18 startups from around the world for Batch 2 of the Alberta Accelerator by 500. They attended a rigorous 12-week program, which included mentorship on segments ranging from customer discovery to foundations of growth.
The program culminates in Demo Day on October 20th, 2022 in Calgary. It will be held in-person for a curated audience of industry leaders, ecosystem players, and 500 Global network partners. They will hear presentations from a diverse group of startups hailing from Canada, Nigeria, and India, among other countries, that are building B2B and B2C applications in logistics, real estate, construction, healthcare, education, business automation and e-commerce.
“Given the strong momentum of our inaugural cohort in Edmonton earlier this year, we were pleased to bring our programming to Calgary for Batch 2. The vitality of the participants has been inspiring, with strong collaboration among ecosystem partners, such as Platform Calgary, and a strong group of founders in this second cohort. We believe that these entrepreneurs have the potential to create high quality jobs and promote growth,” said Bedy Yang, Managing Partner at 500 Global.
One year ago, 500 Global teamed up with Alberta Innovates to develop a bespoke world-class startup program and source promising founders in and around Alberta, with the goal of powering growth and development.
Alberta Accelerator by 500 is part of the Alberta Scaleup and Growth Accelerator Program (Scaleup GAP) run by a consortium led by Alberta Innovates. The consortium, which also includes the Ministry of Jobs, Economy and Innovation; Edmonton Unlimited; and Prairies Economic Development Canada (PrairiesCan), allocated $35 million over three years to retain business accelerators.
“Through 500 Global and Scaleup GAP, entrepreneurs, innovators and early-startup businesses are getting the guidance, training and coaching they need to grow and prosper,” said Laura Kilcrease, CEO of Alberta Innovates. “These 18 graduating companies are helping to create a critical mass of entrepreneurial activity that will help put Alberta on the global stage as a technology leader. I’m looking forward to seeing what these companies will do next.”
Batch 2 startups include:
- Airtasks: a process management platform to help construction teams organize all their communication in one place.
- Alto: a web platform that helps families in need of senior care or special needs care find qualified, vetted caregivers in 20 minutes or less.
- Artclever: helps creative professionals worldwide to succeed by developing & distributing high-quality educational video content, and providing equal career opportunities.
- Deeleeo: a local same-day delivery platform & marketplace that enables local businesses to better compete against major online retailers.
- Delphi Technology Corp: an immersive training platform for aerospace companies and airliners looking to build capacity with future workforce.
- Doortender: provides on-demand alcohol delivery without charging delivery fees or platform service charges; it accomplishes this by using its own tech, couriers, and network of fulfillment centers.
- Electronic Grid Systems: helps parking infrastructure owners deploy EV charging stations at a fraction of the cost, and without upfront capital, through their turnkey service approach.
- Expancio: a retail and franchise eCommerce SaaS platform which helps businesses to engage local shoppers with their all-in-one application and sales channel builder.
- Fly and Fetch: a shipping company that hires travelers to transport packages so e-commerce businesses can attain faster & cheaper international shipping.
- Infocore (Homeclick): a marketplace that helps homebuyers get a mortgage and insurance for their house, faster, through their seamless digital process.
- iTappit: powering up traditional business cards by exchanging contacts & sales channels more efficiently through NFC smart business cards.
- Kodobe Limited: helps organizations grow stronger engagement with their new and existing customers by using a unique gamification platform.
- PEASI: provides a mass notification SaaS solution to help community and workplace safety managers send targeted alerts, fast and easy, without the complexity and cost of other systems.
- RUNNR Delivery: a reliable on-demand delivery service that helps parts managers of heavy duty equipment dealerships ensure the right parts are delivered to the right place at the right time through their network of drivers.
- SoMin.ai: an audience optimization solution to help digital performance professionals and agencies make digital ads more effective using AI.
- The Hair Routine: a D2C app that helps women fall in love with their hair through day-to-day care guidance along with a sustainable line of products.
- WorkforceDocs: a mobile solution to help mid-sized businesses on commercial job sites solve field management solutions with ease of data input and analytical output.
- 360 Explorer: a marketplace for helping people find the right adventure tour and life transformational trip, just for them.
To attend Demo Day, please visit: Alberta Accelerator by 500 Batch 2 In-Person Demo Day
500 Global is a venture capital firm with $2.7B in assets under management that invests in founders building fast-growing technology companies. We focus on markets where technology, innovation, and capital can unlock long-term value and drive economic growth. We work closely with key stakeholders and advise governments and corporations on how best to support entrepreneurial ecosystems so startups can thrive. 500 Global has backed over 5,000 founders representing more than 2,700 companies operating in 81 countries. Our portfolio includes 49 companies valued at over $1 billion and 150 companies valued at over $100 million. Our 180+ plus team members are located in 27 countries and bring experience as entrepreneurs, investors, and operators from some of the world’s leading technology companies.
Alberta Innovates is the province’s largest and Canada’s first provincial research and innovation agency. For a century we have worked closely with researchers, companies and entrepreneurs – trailblazers who built industries and strengthened communities. Today we are pivoting to the next frontier of opportunity in Alberta and worldwide by driving emerging technologies across sectors. We are a provincial corporation delivering seed funding, business advice, applied research and technical services, and avenues for partnership and collaboration. Learn more about Alberta Innovates.
Headquartered in Alberta’s capital city, Edmonton Unlimited leverages, unites, and promotes home-grown innovation as a gateway to solving the world’s most pressing problems. We harness the power of the public and private sectors, ground-breaking academic research, and purpose-driven investment to build a shared prosperity and open international markets. From sustainable climate solutions to public health and digital education, Edmonton is a leading global centre for inspiration, ingenuity, and inclusion. Learn more about Edmonton Unlimited and Startup Edmonton, a division of Innovate Edmonton.
THIS PRESS RELEASE IS INTENDED SOLELY FOR GENERAL INFORMATIONAL OR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. 500 GLOBAL, ALBERTA INNOVATES, AND EDMONTON UNLIMITED ARE INDEPENDENT THIRD PARTIES.
WHILE PARTIES HAVE TAKEN REASONABLE STEPS TO ENSURE THAT THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS PRESS RELEASE IS ACCURATE AND UP-TO-DATE, NO LIABILITY CAN BE ACCEPTED FOR ANY ERROR OR OMISSIONS. NO REPRESENTATIONS ARE MADE AS TO SPECIFIC OUTCOMES FROM RELYING ON THE CONTENTS OF THIS PRESS RELEASE AND ANY THIRD PARTY LINKS.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANY CONTENT IN THIS PRESS RELEASE BE CONSTRUED AS INVESTMENT ADVICE. NO CONTENT OR INFORMATION IN THIS PRESS RELEASE SHOULD BE CONSTRUED AS AN OFFER TO SELL OR SOLICITATION OF INTEREST TO PURCHASE ANY SECURITIES OF OR ADVISED BY ANY PARTIES HEREIN. ALL VIEWS AND OPINIONS PRESENTED ARE THE RELEVANT PERSONS' OWN.