BASKING RIDGE, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Barnes & Noble Education, Inc. (NYSE: BNED) a leading solutions provider for the education industry, today announced that Barnes & Noble College (BNC) continues its rapid growth of innovative equitable access course material delivery model BNC First Day® Complete with a significant increase in the number of campuses across the country that have committed to the program for the upcoming Fall term.
Through its First Day Complete program, Barnes & Noble College partners with educational institutions to provide all students with all course materials needed for the term in one convenient bundle on or before the first day of class. Course material costs are included as part of tuition or applied as a course charge, saving students an average of 35-50%.
In May 2022, through its proprietary research segment, Barnes & Noble College Insights, Barnes & Noble College conducted an online survey for all students who participated in the First Day Complete program during the Spring 2022 semester. Based on 2,440 responses across 76 campuses, representing students from community colleges, four-year public and four-year private institutions, students provided strong positive feedback about the impact First Day Complete has on their academic success:
- 83% of students agreed that they were better prepared for the academic term because of First Day Complete;
- 80% of students agreed that First Day Complete had a positive impact on their success; and
- 73% of students agreed that First Day Complete helped them achieve better grades
The results of the survey underscore the significant positive impact First Day Complete is having on student outcomes, enhancing access, convenience and affordability, which is driving the continued adoption of the program on campuses nationwide, from small private colleges to large public universities and multi-campus community college systems.
For the upcoming Fall term, Barnes & Noble College has already secured commitments from 112 campus stores to utilize First Day Complete, representing total undergraduate enrollment of approximately 547,000 students. This represents 85% year-over-year growth in enrollment since the 2021 Fall Term, where the program was offered through 66 campus bookstores to a total undergraduate enrollment of approximately 300,000 students.
“We are thrilled with the exponential growth of First Day Complete, which demonstrates the tremendous value proposition of our innovative equitable access program for institutions, faculty and students,” said Jonathan Shar, President of Barnes & Noble College. “The enhanced convenience of First Day Complete facilitates a seamless transition for students at the beginning of each academic term, and in turn helps support their mental health and positions them for academic success. These benefits are underscored by the strong positive feedback we received from students in our recent First Day Complete Student Survey, where a vast majority of students said that First Day Complete helped them feel better prepared for the academic term, enabled them to achieve better grades and had a positive impact on their success. We are seeing tremendous demand for First Day Complete across all types and sizes of institutions, and, with a strong pipeline of institutions that are currently evaluating the program, we expect this growth will continue to accelerate. These results reinforce BNED’s differentiated and collaborative approach to working with our partner institutions to provide innovative solutions to help drive improved learning outcomes for students nationwide.”
First Day Complete Student Survey: Underscoring the Significant Benefits to Student Outcomes
With First Day Complete, students noted that they felt better prepared and could focus more on their academics. The students cited the benefits of not having to stress financially and the ease of getting all required books and materials ahead of classes:
- “This program allows for easy access to all required textbooks for one fee built into our tuition rather than paying hundreds of dollars out of pocket. It's beneficial in getting a head start and staying on top of studies through finals.” (Campbell University)
- “School is stressful enough. It makes it easier being able to choose classes and have the books already be there.” (Columbia College)
Many students cited the affordability and convenience of the First Day Complete program, agreeing that the program provides an easy experience and more affordable materials, and increases their likelihood to continue their education at that school:
- 91% of students said that the program saves time in shopping for course materials because they are all in one place, an increase of 7% year-over-year;
- 90% of students said it was convenient to have course materials bundled and delivered through the program, an increase of 17% year-over-year;
- 88% of students said that the overall process, from selecting course materials to receiving/picking up course materials was easy;
- 79% of students said that First Day Complete provided more affordable course materials; and
- 74% noted that the availability of First Day Complete increases the likelihood they will continue their education at their school.
Feedback from school faculty and administrators has been equally strong:
- “Having the ‘system’ at the first day of class made it more exciting to teach [and] it also made it easier to teach [...] because students came to class prepared…. It takes a lot of pressure, not just off the students, but it takes a lot of pressure off the faculty members too because when everybody has their books, everybody is ready.” (Faculty member at Oakwood University)
- “Anecdotal information is telling us that the program is helping the students get to their assignments earlier on in this semester, get to their assignments in a more thorough way than they have before. Academically, it's a very sound program.” (Provost at Ocean County College)
- “The percentage of students showing up to class on the first day without their textbook was probably 80 or 90 percent...For my students to have the textbook on day one, I don't have to wait 2 or 3 weeks to begin lecturing.” (Faculty member at Ocean County College)
About First Day Complete
Through First Day Complete, course material costs are bundled into tuition or applied as a course charge for one flat-rate each term, and through a personalized concierge-style service, students can pick up all their physical materials either at the bookstore or have them shipped, while digital materials are accessible through an institution’s learning management system (LMS).
By delivering all course materials via one unified service, the First Day Complete program ensures students have access to all their learning materials across all of their courses before the term begins, allowing them to engage with course content from day one to support their academic success. First Day Complete provides full academic freedom for faculty, allowing them to select the best course materials for the term from BNED’s expansive relationships with more than 6,000 publishers, creating a one-stop, simplified experience.
Hear what students, faculty and administrators had to say about their experiences using First Day Complete and how it has made a positive impact at their institutions. Watch the video, here.
For more information about First Day Complete, visit, www.bncollege.com/academic-solutions/first-day-complete/.
Barnes & Noble College, a Barnes & Noble Education company, currently operates more than 770 campus stores nationwide. For more information about Barnes & Noble College’s services and locations, visit www.bncollege.com.
ABOUT BARNES & NOBLE EDUCATION, INC.
Barnes & Noble Education, Inc. (NYSE: BNED) is a leading solutions provider for the education industry, driving affordability, access and achievement at hundreds of academic institutions nationwide and ensuring millions of students are equipped for success in the classroom and beyond. Through its family of brands, BNED offers campus retail services and academic solutions, a digital direct-to-student learning ecosystem, unparalleled best-in-class assortment of school apparel through a strategic alliance with Fanatics and Lids, wholesale capabilities and more. BNED is a company serving all who work to elevate their lives through education, supporting students, faculty and institutions as they make tomorrow a better, more inclusive and smarter world. For more information, visit www.bned.com.