ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With the official start to spring underway, spring cleaning is top-of-mind for many Americans. In fact, a recent Bona/Harris Poll survey of over 2,000 U.S. adults found that more than 9 in 10 Americans (93%) are planning to spring clean this year. Within this group, an overwhelming majority (92%) say they are considering taking action to reduce their environmental impact while spring cleaning, and more than half (56%) say they are considering using cleaning products that have environmentally friendly ingredients.
The survey, which was commissioned by Bona®, a global, sustainably driven company that supplies products for installing, renovating, maintaining and restoring premium floors, also found that more than half of Americans (53%) say they have made the change to using more environmentally friendly cleaning products in the past year, and more than three quarters (77%) say they are likely to switch out traditional cleaning products to environmentally friendly ones.
“Spring is the perfect time to not only organize and tidy-up, but to also bring in cleaning products that are safer for the home year-round. With today’s formula innovations, we know that cleaning can be effective and safer for families, pets and the planet,” said Andy Telatnik, Director of Marketing – Retail, Bona. “In this survey, we were pleased to see that not only are more Americans making the switch to more environmentally friendly cleaning products, but that some of the previously held misconceptions surrounding efficacy of these products seem to be fading.”
Other survey highlights from the 2022 Bona Spring Cleaning Poll include:
- Spring Cleaning and the Environment: Of those spring cleaning this year, 92% are planning to do something to reduce their environmental impact, including donating clothes or furniture rather than putting them in the trash (62%), using cleaning products that have environmentally friendly ingredients (56%), adding plants to their home to improve air quality (45%), adding an air purifier to their home (31%) and composting (25%).
- Changing Out Household Items: Americans have made significant strides in changing out a variety of household items to more environmentally friendly options over the past year, including cleaning products (53%), food (41%), paper products (38%) and beauty products (30%).
- Environmentally Friendly Ingredients for Cleaning: More than 4 in 5 Americans (83%) say having cleaners they use in their home that are made from environmentally friendly ingredients is at least somewhat important to them, with about a third (32%) saying it is extremely important or absolutely essential. Of those spring cleaning this year, nearly 4 in 5 (79%) say they’re interested in trying environmentally friendly cleaning products when spring cleaning, with a third strongly agreeing with this sentiment. 2022 spring cleaners ages 18-44 are more likely than those ages 55+ to strongly agree (39% vs. 25%).
- Parents Go Green: Parents of children under 18 are more likely to be concerned with environmentally friendly ingredients (42%) when asked about what attributes were absolutely essential/extremely important in cleaning ingredients used in their home compared to those who are not parents of children under 18 (28%). Parents of children under 18 are also more likely to have changed to more environmentally friendly cleaning products in the past year (66%) versus those that are not parents of children under 18 (47%).
- COVID Cleaning: In Bona’s 2021 spring cleaning survey, just over 2 of 5 Americans (42%) said they were cleaning less than in comparison to the first few months of the pandemic. In 2022, nearly half of Americans (49%) say they are cleaning less now compared to the beginning of the pandemic, with that number jumping to 60% among the 18-34 age group.
- Span of Spring Cleaning: 35-44-year-olds are more likely than those 18-34 and 55+ to say they typically spend a week or longer spring cleaning (73% vs. 64% and 51%).
- Feelings that Come with Cleaning: Similar to last year’s findings (86%), 90% of Americans note they feel more relaxed when they have a clean home.
With the environment in mind, Bona’s hardwood and hard surface formulas were reformulated last year and received the U.S. EPA’s Safer Choice certification. The amplified formulations are crafted with plant-derived ingredients, use water-based and biodegradable solutions, and are free of parabens, formaldehyde, ammonia, phthalates, and phosphates. Additionally, Bona offers a suite of cleaning solutions for floors and other hard surfaces to make cleaning safer, easy, and effective.
About Bona US
Bona is an innovative, environmentally conscious company dedicated to creating beautiful floors since 1919. Bona US, the North American subsidiary of BonaAB in Malmö, Sweden, manufactures and distributes floor and home care products. The first in the industry to offer a full system of waterborne hardwood floor finishing and floor care products certified for indoor air quality by GREENGUARD, Bona products can be found throughout the U.S. and Canada. From residue-free hardwood floor cleaners to a beautiful array of stains and high durability finishes, consumers, distributors and contractors trust Bona. For more information, please contact Bona US at (800) 872-5515 or www.bona.com.
The 2022 survey was conducted online within the United States by The Harris Poll on behalf of Bona from February 24-28, 2022 among 2,062 U.S. adults ages 18 and older. The 2021 survey was conducted online within the United States by The Harris Poll on behalf of Bona from February 23-25, 2021 among 2,032 U.S. adults ages 18 and older. These online surveys are not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodologies, including weighting variables and subgroup sample sizes, please contact Heather Lindemann at (800) 872-5515.