ONTARIO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Prime Healthcare hospitals received nearly 300 quality awards from Healthgrades, including 23 "America's 100 Best by Specialty" awards as well as 73 Specialty Excellence and 218 5-Star awards. The awards recognize hospitals that deliver superior patient outcomes across the most common in-hospital procedures and conditions, including surgical care, critical care, cardiac care and surgery, gastrointestinal care and surgery, bariatric surgery, and 10 other specialties.
The awards from Healthgrades – a leading resource for comprehensive and objective information about physicians and hospitals – are the latest recognition of excellence for the hospitals of Prime Healthcare. Since 2001, Prime Healthcare has been consistently recognized for preserving access to high-quality care in communities nationwide through its 45 hospitals and more than 300 outpatient locations across the United States.
"The hospitals that have been awarded clinical achievements have demonstrated exceptional quality of care," said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Healthgrades. "Now more than ever, consumers understand the importance of hospital quality and are starting to become more diligent when researching where they receive care. When selecting a hospital, consumers can feel confident in the award recipient hospitals for their commitment to quality care and exceptional outcomes."
Prime Healthcare stands apart from other health systems for its strength in acquiring financially challenged hospitals and providing the leadership and resources needed for them to flourish and achieve clinical excellence. Key to Prime's success is evidence-based clinical protocols, physician leadership, innovation and technology with over $1.8 billion invested in capital improvements and equipment to modernize and improve hospitals and facilities in 14 states.
"At Prime Healthcare, clinical excellence and patient-centered care have always been integral to the culture at every one of our hospitals," said Sunny Bhatia, MD, CEO of Region I and Chief Medical Officer of Prime Healthcare. "The clinical awards that we consistently receive year after year demonstrate the dedication of our caregivers to our mission of providing the highest quality care, saving lives, and serving communities. Thank you to our leadership, frontline caregivers and hospital teams who have earned this national recognition for their commitment to patients and families in all the communities we serve."
The results of the Healthgrades analysis have some startling ramifications. For example, from 2018-2020:
- The risk of having a complication in a knee replacement surgery is 74.0% lower at a hospital with a 5-star rating than being treated in a hospital with a 1-star rating
- Patients treated for Heart Attack in hospitals with 1-star for in-hospital mortality are, on average, 2 times more likely to die than if they were treated in hospitals with 5-stars for in-hospital mortality.
- If all hospitals performed as well as the hospitals with 5-star ratings 218,141 lives could potentially have been saved, and 156,050 health complications could potentially have been avoided.
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 31 common conditions and procedures and evaluated outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states. Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2018 through 2020 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital's quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected), and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected).
The following Prime Healthcare hospitals received recognitions in Healthgrades 2022 ratings:
- Alvarado Hospital Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- Centinela Hospital Medical Center, Inglewood, CA
- Chino Valley Medical Center, Chino, CA
- Coshocton Regional Medical Center, Coshocton, OH
- Dallas Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- Dallas Regional Medical Center, Mesquite, TX
- Desert Valley Hospital, Victorville, CA
- East Liverpool City Hospital, East Liverpool, OH
- Encino Hospital Medical Center, Encino, CA
- Garden City Hospital, Garden City, MI
- Garden Grove Hospital Medical Center, Garden Grove, CA
- Harlingen Medical Center, Harlingen, TX
- Huntington Beach Hospital, Huntington Beach, CA
- Knapp Medical Center, Weslaco, TX
- La Palma Intercommunity Hospital, La Palma, CA
- Lake Huron Medical Center, Port Huron, MI
- Landmark Medical Center, Woonsocket, RI
- Lehigh Regional Medical Center, Lehigh Acres, FL
- Lower Bucks Hospital, Bristol, PA
- Mission Regional Medical Center, Mission, TX
- North Vista Hospital, North Las Vegas, NV
- Pampa Regional Medical Center, Pampa, TX
- Paradise Valley Hospital, National City, CA
- Providence Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- Riverview Regional Medical Center, Gadsden, AL
- Saint Clare's Denville Hospital, Denville, NJ
- Saint John Hospital, Leavenworth, KS
- Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center, Reno, NV
- Saint Mary's General Hospital, Passaic, NJ
- Saint Michael's Medical Center, Newark, NJ
- San Dimas Community Hospital, San Dimas, CA
- Shasta Regional Medical Center, Redding, CA
- Sherman Oaks Hospital, Sherman Oaks, CA
- Southern Regional Medical Center, Riverdale, GA
- St. Francis Medical Center, Lynwood, CA
- St. Joseph Medical Center, Kansas City, MO
- St. Mary's Medical Center, Blue Springs, MO
- Suburban Community Hospital, East Norriton, PA
- West Anaheim Medical Center, Anaheim, CA
In addition to achieving this recent Healthgrades recognition:
- Prime Healthcare received more Patient Safety Excellence Awards for six consecutive years (2016-2021) than any other health system in the country
- Prime Healthcare hospitals in Nevada, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Texas earned distinction in the Healthgrades 2021 Women's Care Special Report.
- Fortune/IBM Watson Health™ named Prime Healthcare hospitals among the Nation's 100 Top Hospitals in 2021. Prime hospitals have received this recognition 58 times.
- Prime Healthcare received the highest ranking for social responsibility according to the Lown Institute Hospitals Index, the first ranking system to define standards for hospital social responsibility by examining performance across health outcomes, value, and equity.
About Prime Healthcare and Prime Healthcare Foundation: Prime Healthcare is an award-winning health system operating 45 hospitals and more than 300 outpatient locations in 14 states, providing over 2.6 million patient visits annually. It is one of the nation's leading health systems with nearly 50,000 employees and physicians dedicated to providing the highest quality healthcare. Fourteen of the Prime Healthcare hospitals are members of the Prime Healthcare Foundation, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit public charity. Based in Ontario, California, Prime Healthcare is nationally recognized for award-winning quality care and has been named a Top 10 and Top 15 Health System by IBM Watson Health. Its hospitals have been named among the nation's "100 Top Hospitals" 58 times and have received more Patient Safety Excellence Awards from Healthgrades than any other health system in the past six years. To learn more, please visit www.primehealthcare.com.