SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--ŌURA Health, the wearable health platform that delivers accurate, personalized health data, insights, and daily guidance, today announced the launch of the Oura Ring Generation 3. Smarter and more comprehensive than ever, Oura Ring Gen3 provides 24/7 health tracking with daytime heart rate monitoring, an improved temperature system, period prediction, plus guided and educational content, workout heart rate monitoring, a new, more accurate sleep staging algorithm, and blood oxygen (SpO2) sensing all coming soon. Oura is pairing the new Gen3 product with a monthly membership of $5.99/month (USD) and a 6-month free membership. The Oura Ring Gen3 is available at ouraring.com for pre-order today and will start shipping in mid-November.
Sleek, ultra-lightweight, and designed for accuracy above all, the Oura Ring Gen3 is an engineering feat. The ring packs a suite of new sensors into less than one centimeter of space, including even more temperature sensors that track temperature every minute, unlocking highly accurate measurements that can help people understand if they are getting sick before the onset of symptoms and predict menstruation. The Oura Ring Gen3’s heart rate technology has expanded from infrared to include red and green LEDs that enable daytime heart rate, workout heart rate, and SpO2 sensing with the same long-lasting battery life of up to 7 days. The Oura Ring Gen3 packs over 3x the number of advanced and sophisticated sensors than in Gen2 and 32x the memory, while maintaining the size and weight of a 4-gram ring.
In addition to Gen3's enhanced capabilities, Oura is dedicating efforts to supporting a traditionally underserved market in the wearable technology space: women's health. By delivering new features, including Period Prediction, Oura is working to help members better understand and track their menstrual cycles and, in turn, their bodies. Oura picks up on subtle changes in the body associated with hormone shifts in each cycle phase. Oura is also working with the science community and Oura members to move women's health research forward together. Most recently, Oura Rings were used in a study by researchers at the University of California San Diego and in innovative research in areas of women's and reproductive health. The Oura Ring Gen3’s advancements in period prediction represent just the beginning of Oura’s steadfast and long-term investment in the areas of women’s health, reproductive health, and family planning.
“With the Oura Ring Gen3, we’re challenging the evolution of the wearables industry,” said Harpreet Singh Rai, Oura CEO. “In addition to being one of the most accurate sleep trackers in the world, we've now added daytime heart rate and workout heart rate. But more importantly, we’ve remained committed to further researching our community’s most pressing problems. From investing in illness detection to women’s health, we see Oura functioning as a single tool to track and guide your holistic health, translating your body's hidden messages to improve how you feel, day and night.”
Oura Ring Generation 3 features available at launch include:
Daytime Heart Rate: The new Oura Ring Gen3 features green LEDs that monitor your heart rate 24/7, helping you learn how your body responds to your daily habits and choices so you can balance your schedule to manage your wellness.
- Live Heart Rate: See your heart rate in real-time to check in with yourself.
- Restorative Time: Oura now recognizes when your body and mind are relaxing, helping you know if you're taking enough breaks throughout the day and getting the recovery your body needs.
- Improved Temperature Sensing: New in the Oura Ring Gen3, 7 research-grade temperature sensors reading your temperature minute-by-minute, so you can look out for signs that indicate you might be getting sick —sometimes even before you notice symptoms.
- Period Prediction: Oura accurately predicts your next period 30 days in advance and alerts you 6 days before it starts, so you’re always prepared. Instead of relying solely on the calendar method, Oura takes a more holistic approach to predicting your period as your body temperature naturally changes throughout your menstrual cycle. While most tracking methods assume your cycle is the same every month, Oura’s Period Prediction adapts its predictions as your cycle changes.
Coming soon, users can also expect:
- Explore New Content: Access a new library of 50+ science-backed videos and audio sessions that help you understand how to interpret your body’s signals and take action. Produced alongside world-renowned experts and content partners, Oura’s ever-growing content library includes meditation, sleep, breathwork sessions, and more designed to help you feel better, recover, learn, and perform. Coming in late 2021.
- Workout Heart Rate: Record your heart rate during runs, walks, and bike rides, and receive post-workout insights to see how your body responds to physical activity so you can better plan your training sessions and optimize your intensity. You’ll also receive a post-activity dashboard showing location, distance, and key heart rate stats. Coming in late 2021.
- Improved Sleep Staging: One of the most accurate sleep trackers on the market is getting even better with enhanced sleep accuracy, closely approaching the gold standard sleep lab test. Coming in 2022.
- Blood Oxygen (SpO2) Sensing: The new Oura Ring Gen3 will sense your blood oxygen levels while you sleep, giving you a more accurate read on the quality of your sleep. Coming in 2022.
The newly introduced Oura Membership ($5.99/month USD) grants users full access to an ever-growing suite of features, daily health insights, personalized recommendations, an expanding library of guided audio sessions, educational videos, and more — directly in the Oura app. All new Oura Ring members will receive 6 free months of membership and any existing Oura Ring member who upgrades to the new Oura Ring Gen3 will receive a discount on their new ring and a free lifetime Oura membership. Customers who have purchased an Oura Ring in the last 30 days will automatically receive a free upgrade with complimentary membership.
To date, Oura has been worn by tech enthusiasts as well as consumers from all walks of life looking to better understand their personal health data, and has trended with celebrities, business leaders, and athletes including Jack Dorsey, Marc Benioff, Arianna Huffington, Carissa Moore (Olympic Gold Medalist), and more. The NBA, WNBA, UFC, NASCAR, Aston Martin Redbull Racing, and the Las Vegas Sands casino group have used Oura Rings and the Health Risk Management (HRM) platform to optimize performance and monitor users’ wellness.
“At Oura, our vision is to empower everyone to realize health as a daily practice,” said Singh Rai. “By giving our members more personal and accurate insights into why they feel how they feel, and enhanced tools to affect their daily habits, the Oura Ring Gen3 gets us even closer to achieving that vision.”
About ŌURA Health:
ŌURA Health is the company behind the health tech wearable that provides actionable insights on sleep and its impact on overall health. The ring tracks all stages of sleep and accounts for daily activity to provide practical steps for long-term improvement. Founded in 2013, ŌURA is now used by top performers, including Jack Dorsey, Michael Dell, Arianna Huffington, Marc Benioff, the NBA, the WNBA, NASCAR, UFC, and more. ŌURA Health is headquartered in Oulu, Finland, with offices in Helsinki and San Francisco. ŌURA has raised a total of $148.3 million of funding from Forerunner Ventures, Temasek, The Chernin Group, JAZZ Venture Partners, and MSD Capital, among others. For more information, please visit http://ouraring.com/.
The Oura Ring is not a medical device and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, monitor, or prevent medical conditions/illnesses.