LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--How many times have you already touched your dishwasher this morning? Today GE Appliances, a Haier company, announced a revolutionary, new dishwasher, the GE Profile UltraFresh System™ Dishwasher with Microban® Antimicrobial Technology that aims to reduce the growth of bacteria in and on your dishwasher
Microban® Antimicrobial Technology is built into the high-contact touchpoints, including handles, control panel, rack handles, silverware cell covers and the filtration system, which helps prevent 99% of bacteria on treated surfaces for the lifetime of the dishwasher.1
Additionally, this GE Profile dishwasher features a first-of-its-kind UltraFresh System™ for dishwashers that helps to stop the causes of odor by pulling in fresh air and water in between cycles when it detects the dishwasher needs a refresh.
“Our engineers spent the past year and a half developing the first and only dishwasher engineered to stay fresher and cleaner during a time when consumers are more concerned than ever about the germs in their homes,” said Cynthia Fanning, vice president of dishwasher product management, GE Appliances.
According to recent research2, 55% of consumers say that they are wiping down high-touch surfaces more and 37% of consumers say that they are wiping down the handle of the dishwasher more than they did before the pandemic.
On top of this, consumers report to touching their dishwashers frequently with individuals reporting to:
- Touching the handle of their dishwashers 16 times per week or 832 times per year
- Touching the silverware basket 10 times per week or 520 times per year
- Running their dishwasher 5 or more times per week or 260 times per year
The UltraFresh System™ Dishwasher’s innovative technology relies on a three-pronged system of Drain, Dry and Defend:
- DRAIN: In between cycles, smart sensors continuously monitor when to add fresh water into the wash system to drain and renew the sump with fresh, clean water to help remove the causes of odor. In conjunction, the water filters are treated with Microban® Antimicrobial Technology.
- DRY: In between cycles, the dishwasher continually pulls in air from the outside, and smart sensors and a fan work together to refresh the air to help reduce the moisture inside the dishwasher, which is one of the causes of odor inside the dishwasher.
- DEFEND: GE Appliances is the exclusive dishwasher partner of Microban® International, the global leader in antimicrobial additives and odor control solutions. Microban’s antimicrobial technology is built into product surfaces during the manufacturing stage to continuously help prevent the growth of stain and odor causing bacteria, mold and mildew. When microbes like bacteria or fungi come into contact with a Microban treated surface, their key life systems are attacked and shut down, thus helping to prevent their growth on the surface.
The GE Profile UltraFresh System™ Dishwasher with Microban® Antimicrobial Technology includes a series of additional new features found HERE. The product will be available in major retailers and local independent dealers starting this month for a suggested retail price of $1,149.
About GE Appliances
GE Appliances strives to make the world a better place, and its team is committed to leading in the communities where employees live and work. A purpose-rooted and passion-driven organization, GE Appliances believes there is always a better way. It sells products under the Monogram®, Café™, GE Profile™, GE® Appliances, Haier, and Hotpoint brands. Products include refrigerators, freezers, cooking products, dishwashers, washers, dryers, air conditioners, water filtration systems, water heaters and small appliances. For more information, visit www.geappliancesco.com.
About Microban International:
Part of Barr Brands International (BBI), Microban International is home to the most trusted and well-known global brands in the antimicrobial, odor control, and sanitization / disinfection markets – Microban® and Ultra-Fresh®. Our organization has experienced over 100 collective years of growth and has revolutionized the industry. As the global leader, our proactive systems keep products cleaner, and control odors better by preventing problems before they start. Microban International drives innovation by combining science and creative solutions that enhance high-quality consumer, textile, industrial and medical products around the world. Today, the Microban and Ultra-Fresh brands and our technologies are featured on thousands of products worldwide. The company is headquartered in North Carolina with operations in North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific. For more information, please visit www.microban.com.
1 Based on aggregate component performance results using standard ISO 22196 test method.
2 Ipsos Community Study, July 2021