LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Housing Is A Human Right (HHR) and key state and local legislators will host a “Community Hearing on Homelessness, Housing and Hunger” on Friday, June 25th in Downtown Los Angeles. The hearings will include 3 panel discussions with public testimony (‘Hunger’ at 11:00 a.m., ‘Housing’ at 1:30 p.m. and ‘Homelessness’ at 3:00 p.m.) to explore root causes, brainstorm solutions—and take testimony from the public. The event is FREE and registration is encouraged. (Registration link)
WHAT: ‘COMMUNITY HEARING on HOMELESSNESS, HOUSING & HUNGER’ Seeking root causes, brainstorming solutions and taking public testimony.
WHEN: Friday, June 25, 2021 - 11:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
WHO: Panelists: The Honorable Kevin de León, Los Angeles City Councilmember, 14th District, and former California State Senate President Pro-Tempore, and …
- Hon. Ben Allen, California State Senator (D, SD26)
- Hon. María Elena Durazo, California State Senator (D, SD24) (invited)
- Hon. Sydney Kamlager, California State Senator (D, SD30) (invited)
- Hon. Miguel Santiago, Assembly Member, (D, AD53)
- Hon. Wendy Carrillo, Assembly Member, (D, AD51) (invited)
- Hon. Sue Himmelrich, Mayor, City of Santa Monica
- Hon. Lindsey Horvath, Mayor, City of West Hollywood
- Hon. Mike Bonin, Los Angeles City Councilmember, 11th District
- Hon. Steven F. Veres, Los Angeles Community College District Board President
- Tammi Mac, KJLH-FM radio host ‘The Tammi Mac Show’ (11:00 a.m. panel: Hunger)
- Beverly White, reporter, KNBC-TV4 (1:30 p.m. panel: Housing)
- Josh Haskell, reporter, KABC-TV7 (3:00 p.m. panel: Homelessness)
WHERE: Biltmore Hotel, 506 S. Grand Avenue, Los Angeles 90071
WHY: Cities across California are facing an unprecedented homelessness crisis. It is estimated that over 150,000 Californians are experiencing homelessness, including over 60,000 in Los Angeles County with nearly 40,000 of those found in the City of Los Angeles. The global pandemic only exacerbated this humanitarian crisis. Despite the COVID pandemic subsiding due to increased vaccinations, homelessness continues.
The “Community Hearing on Homelessness, Housing and Hunger” is intended to bring new urgency among government and elected officials and the public to these three overlapping crises. Elected officials and decision-makers will hear from those with lived experience and stakeholders who will provide various points of view on addressing these growing humanitarian issues.