LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Legion Partners Asset Management, LLC, which, together with its affiliates (collectively, “Legion Partners” or “Legion”), beneficially owns 2,790,121 shares of common stock of OneSpan Inc. (“OneSpan” or the “Company”) (Nasdaq: OSPN), representing approximately 6.9% of the outstanding stock, today issued a presentation highlighting the need for new independent directors on OneSpan’s Board of Directors (the “Board”). Legion Partners has nominated four highly-qualified independent directors for election to the Company’s Board at the Company’s 2021 Annual Meeting of Stockholders (the “Annual Meeting”): Sarika Garg, Sagar Gupta, Michael J. McConnell and Rinki Sethi.
The full presentation is available at: https://protectonespan.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Legion-Partners-OSPN-Proxy-Fight-Presentation-vFF-5.16.21.pdf
Key points from the presentation include:
- OneSpan’s stock has been a serial underperformer: The Company currently trades at ~70% valuation discount to peers and its total shareholder returns (“TSR”) has severely underperformed across 1, 3, 5, 10, and 15 year periods. The Company’s Board lacks directors with relevant skillsets needed to remedy this issue including improving strategic oversight and corporate governance.
- The Board’s reactive maneuvers have failed to improve total shareholder return: OneSpan is transitioning from Hardware to a cloud-first, recurring revenue Software company, but the Board’s skill sets do not appear to have appropriately evolved with this strategy. Despite our significant efforts to collaborate on refreshment to address this issue, the Board has defensively added new directors with questionable qualifications and fit, as well as prior connections to existing directors, and have only made these moves in the face of public pressure.
- The Board has no credible plan to fix OneSpan’s valuation: In the presentation, Legion offers several plans to address multiple issues weighing on OneSpan’s valuation, including plans to improve OneSpan’s financial disclosures, investor communications, capital allocation, strategic oversight, governance, and executive compensation. Legion’s nominees would seek to take a holistic approach to reversing decades of underperformance overseen by the Board.
- The Board’s leadership and culture need to change: Legion contends that the Company’s TSR has not improved because the real power in the boardroom has not changed as longer tenured and underqualified directors continue to hold key leadership positions – and are highly reluctant to meaningfully engage with stockholders, including Legion.
Legion’s nominees represent a world-class group of technologists, operators, executives and investors who have overseen, led and invested in numerous successful modern public software and hardware companies.
For more information about Legion’s case for change at OneSpan, please visit https://protectonespan.com/.
VOTE FOR LEGION’S FOUR NOMINEES ON THE WHITE PROXY CARD TODAY
About Legion Partners
Legion Partners is a value-oriented investment manager based in Los Angeles, with a satellite office in Sacramento, CA. Legion Partners seeks to invest in high-quality businesses that are temporarily trading at a discount, utilizing deep fundamental research and long-term shareholder engagement. Legion Partners manages a concentrated portfolio of North American small-cap equities on behalf of some of the world’s largest institutional and HNW investors.
- As of 2/24/21 (the “Unaffected Date”) (one day following Q4 2020 earnings on 2/23/21 after market close, and one day prior to Legion’s public nomination on 2/25/21 before market open)