LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Millions of Americans are putting their health at risk by using unhygienic toothbrushes, according to a new report from national dental provider Express Dentist. Up to ten million micro-organisms can be found on a single toothbrush, including germs such as staph, yeast, E. coli-like bacteria and Pseudomonas.
Fecal matter can travel up to six feet through the air when you flush the toilet. Express Dentist recommends you keep the seat cover down before you flush to prevent the dispersal of germs into the air, and additionally you keep your toothbrush as far away from the toilet bowl as possible.
Express Dentist recommends that toothbrushes should be replaced every 3-4 months or earlier if the bristles appear frayed or matted. It’s also a good idea to change out your toothbrush if you’ve been sick with a flu-like illness. Viruses and bacteria can linger on the brush and potentially lead to a re-infection.
The report from Express Dentist provides a range of other tips to help you keep your toothbrush as hygienic as possible, including:
- Handle your toothbrush with clean hands to avoid transferring bacteria from your hands to your toothbrush
- Store your toothbrush upright to avoid contaminating with germs from the counter surface
- Rinse your toothbrush thoroughly with tap water before and after use
- Let your toothbrush air dry completely between uses and store it in a well-ventilated, sunlit environment
- Never share your toothbrush with anyone else, and make sure your family’s toothbrushes don’t touch if they’re stored in the same cup
- Clean your toothbrush holder regularly with soap and water
- Avoid cross-contamination from toothpaste to toothbrush – one person’s germs can transfer from their toothbrush to the toothpaste tube
- If you use a cup to rinse your mouth after you brush, do not share the cup with others
- Clean a new toothbrush before you use it for the first time – toothbrushes that come out of a package can sometimes be contaminated with germs
Express Dentist has partnered with hundreds of leading dental care providers nationwide to bring you high-quality dental care when you need it, where you need it. We offer an exhaustive directory of emergency dentists in the USA from coast to coast and everywhere in between. We help you find 24-hour dentists nearby for dental emergencies and same-day dental surgery.