NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--To kick off the new year, American Express (NYSE: AXP) is introducing new offers for U.S. Consumer, Small Business and Cobrand Card Members, as well as small merchants. Designed with customers’ current needs in mind, these offers provide support to navigate the impact of the pandemic and plan for the road ahead.
"Last year we moved quickly to support our Card Members by delivering relevant value and services to help them navigate the uncertainties of the pandemic. As a result, we saw incredible engagement across these offers which drove increased loyalty and lower attrition levels than in 2019 across our Card Member base," said Rachel Stocks, Executive Vice President, Global Premium Products and Benefits, American Express. "As we start a new year, we’re continuing to find ways to elevate our Membership experience by adding new value to help our Card Members and small merchants make the most of their time spent at home, plan for the future, and help small businesses get back to business."
Online Shopping Perks for Consumer Platinum Card® Members
79% of consumers surveyed say they have spent significantly more time shopping online in the past 12 months than ever before and 53% indicate they plan to spend more on online purchases in 2021 than in the past, according to the Amex Trendex1.
Eligible U.S. Consumer Platinum Card Members will now see even more value when they shop online, with new offers available through June 30, 2021:
- Up to $180 in statement credits with PayPal: Consumer Platinum Card Members can receive up to $180 back ($30/month via statement credits) on purchases made at eligible merchants with PayPal through June 30, 2021. Terms apply.
Up to $1,700 in Value Through Amex Offers: Eligible Consumer Platinum Card Members2 who had the Card as of November 1, 2020, can access up to $1,700 in statement credits after they enroll in Amex Offers with select merchants through June 30, 2021. These offers include:
- Avis Car Rental - Spend $250+ on eligible purchases, Get $75 back, up to two times
- BestBuy.com - Spend $50+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to two times
- Goldbelly - Spend $100+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to three times
- Home Chef - Spend $50+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to three times
- HomeDepot.com - Spend $50+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to two times
- Instacart - Spend $250+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to two times
- Samsung - Spend $1,000+ on eligible purchases, Get $200 back, one time
- Scribd - Spend $9.99+ on eligible purchases, Get $9.99 back, up to five times
- The Container Store - Spend $150+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to two times
- Virtual Personal Training by Equinox - Spend $780+ on eligible purchases, Get $130 back, up to five times
- Wine Insiders - Spend $30+ on eligible purchases, Get $30 back, up to two times3
Back to Business Offers for Small Business Card Members
In 2020, many businesses invested in technology and remote working capabilities. This year, a majority (59%) of small- and mid-size businesses expect technology to be their top business expense, followed by office supplies (36%) and media & advertising (30%), according to an Amex Trendex survey of business owners and financial decision-makers4.
“As the business landscape evolves, we’re focused on designing offers and solutions that give small businesses the continued support they need to navigate these uncertain times and come out stronger,” said Courtney Kelso, Senior Vice President and General Manager, U.S. Commercial Card, Global Commercial Services at American Express. “With just over 82% of our U.S. Small Business Card Members getting back to business5, we want to reward them with offers that make sense for their business right now – such as shipping and advertising – while also setting them up for the future.”
Building on its commitment to small businesses, American Express is giving U.S. Small Business Card Members extra support to help keep their businesses moving forward. This includes:
- Up to 400,000 Additional Membership Rewards® Points Across Back-to-Business Categories6: With these exclusive business offers, eligible Business Platinum Card Members2 can now earn 5X Membership Rewards points on U.S. purchases made across wireless, shipping, advertising, gas and office supplies categories through June 30, 2021 after they enroll in these Amex Offers. That’s four additional points on top of the one already earned per dollar spent in these select categories, up to 80,000 points per category. In the coming weeks, new Business Platinum Card Members will also receive exciting offers for their first three months of Membership.
- Up to $250 Back on Eligible Business Purchases: With this cash back bonus, eligible Blue Business Plus and other eligible American Express small business Credit Card Members2,7, can receive $25 back via statement credit on transactions greater than $500 up to 10 times, through June 30, 2021.
Support for U.S. Small Merchants’ Growing Digital Presence
Last year, American Express made over $15,000 in discounts on services available to businesses to help them save on shipping, connect with customers, streamline their operations, and more. As small merchants continue to invest in their ecommerce and digital capabilities, American Express is continuing to offer multiple discounts and services for U.S. small merchants, with the most recent offers including:
- 30% off Social Media Management Solutions from Sprout Social: New Sprout Social customers will receive a 30-day free trial and then 30% off their subscription after signing an annual subscription. Sprout Social helps businesses manage their social media presence across channels, streamline and scale engagement with customers, and analyze social performance. Offer valid through March 31, 2021.
- Get 4 Months free from BigCommerce for Building an Online Store: New BigCommerce customers can get their first four months free after they sign up for a free 15-day trial. Customers can sign up for their free 15-day trial here and then select a monthly Standard, Plus, or Pro subscription. Customers must select a monthly pay option when they select their subscription plan. Customers will be automatically charged each month following their first four months unless they cancel their subscription. Offer valid through March 31, 2021.
Hotel, Air and Car Rental Offers for Trips Close to Home
According to the Amex Trendex1, 68% of respondents surveyed expect to take a trip in 2021 that they couldn’t take in 2020, and 28% of consumers in December reported they are planning a trip in the next 60 days.
Whenever Card Members are ready to travel – whether it’s for a staycation or nearby getaway – American Express has their backs with new offers for hotels, flights and car rentals:
- The Hotel Collection Complimentary Night or Property Credit: U.S. Consumer and Business Platinum Card Members and Gold Card Members can receive a complimentary night or property credit of $150 or more after booking an eligible stay through American Express Travel at participating Hotel Collection properties. Required booking dates and travel dates vary by property. Terms apply.
- Fine Hotels + Resorts® Complimentary Night or Property Credit: U.S. Consumer and Business Platinum Card Members can receive a complimentary night or property credit of $250 or more after booking an eligible stay through American Express Travel at more than 200 participating Fine Hotels + Resorts® properties. Required booking dates and travel dates vary by property. Terms apply.
- Recommended Flights: Soon, U.S. Consumer and Business Platinum Card Members can access lower fares on select routes, flights and seats, with the ability to save up to 20% off the publicly listed ticket price. These lower fares are available with participating airlines for eligible flights and seats booked between January 10, 2021 and March 31, 2021 for travel from January 10, 2021 through May 31, 2021. Terms apply.
- Pay with Points on Prepaid Car Rental Bookings: For those renting a car to enjoy a local getaway, Membership Rewards® program enrolled U.S. Card Members can now use Pay with Points or earn 2X Membership Rewards points on prepaid car rental bookings through AmexTravel.com.
Additionally, American Express will waive the American Express Travel fee on U.S. customers’ flight modifications or new bookings now through March 31, 2021 and will continue to honor travel provider policies for changes or cancellations to bookings made through American Express Travel. For information on health and safety guidelines, partner policies, and more, visit the American Express Travel COVID-19 Information Hub.
Up Next: New Cobrand Card Offers
In the coming weeks, American Express and its Cobrand partners will be introducing new limited-time offers for existing Consumer and Business Delta SkyMiles®, Hilton Honors® and Marriott Bonvoy™ Card Members — with more details to come soon.
Full terms for the above offers can be found here.
1: Amex Trendex data from Morning Consult poll conducted between December 7-8, 2020 among a national sample of 2,000 general population travelers with a household income of at least $70K, and defined as adults who traveled by air at least once in 2019. Results from the survey have a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.
2: Must be an eligible Card Member as of 11/1/20
3: Must be 21 years or older to consume alcohol, please drink responsibly
4: Findings are based on results of an online survey conducted among 500 small- and mid-size business owners and financial decision makers in the United States whose revenue ranges from $300K-$300M balanced across revenue, gender and region. The survey was conducted by a third-party vendor and completed between October 15-23, 2020. The margin of error (MOE) for the total sample at the 95% confidence level is +/- 4 percentage points.
5: Based on resilient (spend growth did not decline) and emerging (spend growth increasing) business Card Members from April through July 2020.
6: Eligible Business Platinum Card Members get 4 additional Membership Rewards® points on top of the 1 already earned per eligible dollar spent across five categories. Up to 80,000 points per category. Terms apply.
7: Also includes other eligible Cards, see full terms here.
ABOUT AMERICAN EXPRESS
American Express is a globally integrated payments company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, instagram.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, InAuth, corporate card, business travel, and corporate responsibility.