HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Altus Foundation, an organization that provides a series of impactful programs, financial support and premium healthcare services to the community, today announced it will cancel its annual Houston Gala in response to the public health emergency. As responsible stewards of the healthcare industry, the Foundation has made this decision in order to help protect the safety and wellbeing of the community and stop the spread of the virus in the City of Houston.
One of the largest in Houston, the event is held each December to celebrate the spirit of Houston and the work of the Foundation for the previous year. It is well known for its marquee entertainment, captivating programs, appearances from celebrities, athletes and dignitaries. The event is also one of the Foundation’s biggest fundraisers, bringing in more than $1.5 million in pledges in 2019.
Although there will be no black-tie celebrations this year, the Foundation continues to provide critical health care services, financial support and resources to those in need across the Greater Houston Area.
Over the course of this year, the Foundation has given back to the community in many ways, including:
- Partnering with former Houston Texans player Chester Pitts and Rapper Bun B, both board members of the Foundation, as well as Pastor James Lee to provide groceries for 600 families at a community food drive at the Church at Bethel’s Family during COVID-19.
- Providing hot meals and other means of support to 2,700 frontline workers and members of the community across South Texas as they respond to the pandemic. Recipients include staff at the Houston Police Department, Altus Houston Hospital, Altus Baytown Hospital, CHI St. Luke’s Health, Ben Taub Hospital – Harris Health System and Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center.
- Feeding 600 families through an appreciation lunch for Bear Creek Islamic Center.
- Since January, the Foundation has provided $250,000 in healthcare services to patients who could not afford treatment. The Foundation will continue to help patients across the community throughout the year.
- Providing cancer patient and Foundation beneficiary, Jashly Avalos, and her family with the trip of a lifetime to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
“While we are deeply saddened to cancel the Altus Foundation Houston Gala, we’re assured that this was the responsible move to ensure the health and safety of our community,” said Taseer Badar, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ZT Corporate and Founder of the Altus Foundation. “We see daily the effects of the pandemic on the frontline workers and are inspired by their relentless hard work and dedication. We will continue to focus our efforts on providing world class healthcare services and support to our vulnerable neighbors and those in need during these trying times.”
“As we unite to fight the global pandemic affecting our community, we look towards nonprofit organizations like the Altus Foundation and its partner in ZT Corporate to lead the example for the private sector,” said Mayor Sylvester Turner. “We appreciate their support, leadership, and tireless efforts to help our communities and neighbors thrive. We look forward to seeing how the Altus Foundation will continue to give back to the community for years to come.”
About the Altus Foundation
The Altus Foundation gives back to the Greater Houston community through healthcare services, as well as providing community support through the Altus network of donors, doctors and healthcare facilities. In addition, the Foundation provides financial support, food donations, and other essential services that help families and our communities thrive. For more information, visit www.altusfoundation.com.