DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "E-commerce Plastic Packaging Market - Growth, Trends, Forecasts (2020 - 2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
The e-commerce plastic packaging market was valued at USD 10.26 billion in 2019, and it is expected to reach USD 21.78 billion by 2025, registering a CAGR of 13.6% during the forecast period 2020-2025.
The e-commerce industry is exploiting the opportunities in the packaging landscape driven by young demographic profile, with increasing internet penetration and relatively better economic performance in the past few years. Many companies that provide packaging support to e-commerce players are developing and creating new ways for packaging products to be sustainable, which caters to a new trend.
For instance, Startup Limeloop recycles billboard wraps to create durable shipping pouches that can be reused up to 2,000 times. Also, Noissue creates compostable mailers made from corn starch that breakdown entirely within six months.
Key Market Trends
Consumer Electronics Accounts for Significant Share
- With the increasing demand for consumer electronics worldwide, the demand for protective plastic packaging is expected to surge in the forecast period. Among the specialized plastic packaging systems for consumer electronics and media, shrink packaging, or commonly known as shrink wrapping, and stretch wrapping are very common and widely used. If compared to shrink film and bags, stretch wrapping affords large energy-saving and does not require the availability of fuel. This simplifies the inventory.
- For instance, the Mavic Air 2 drone, which was launched in April 2020, is packaged with a smart controller and a smartphone display in carton boxes that come with protective plastic shrink-wrap, to avoid damage during shipping.
- Further, several cellphones are packed and shipped using plastic material. Although several manufacturers are drifting toward sustainable packaging options, the role of plastic films and wraps to package boxes is growing. For instance, although the packaging for iPhone X is highly recyclable, and 100% of the fiber in its retail box is either from recycled content, like bamboo, waste sugarcane, or responsibly managed forests, it comes with a plastic film for barrier protection and matte finish.
- Further, when it comes to efficient packaging, plastics often enable manufacturers to ship more products with less packaging material. This process of light-weighting can play an essential role in boosting the environmental and economic efficiency of consumer product packaging. For instance, Kingston's HyperX Savage EXO, launched in 2019, comes packaged between layers of clear blister-pack inserted in the box. The plastic, screwless, and slate-gray case protects the drive's internals.
Asia-Pacific to Witness Significant Market Growth
- Asia-Pacific accounts to witness significant market growth. China is one of the emerging nations where the e-commerce market is growing rapidly due to the rising consumer preference for online shopping, the proliferation of alternative payment solutions, online shopping events, such as single day offering lucrative discounts, and improved logistics infrastructure. According to ChinaDaily.com, the Chinese e-commerce sector generated CNY 4.82 trillion in online retail sales during the first half of 2019.
- Moreover, there are various factors for the surging e-commerce market in China, such as increasing penetration of smartphones, good retail infrastructure, cross border regulation, and cost-effective labor. According to ZME Science, the number of parcels delivered in the country tripled in the last four years, going from 20.6 billion in 2015 to 63.5 billion in 2019.
- Further, in India, the growth in organized retail, along with a boom that the country is experiencing in e-commerce, has been fueling the growth of plastic packaging. According to data released by the ASSOCHAM, the per capita consumption of plastic is expected to get doubled by 2021 from the 2016 level. The ASSOCHAM stated that India is annually consuming 12.8 million metric tons of plastics. Moreover, consumers are demanding more sustainable products, and brands have to imbibe this concept strongly in their business approach.
Key Topics Covered:
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Growing Proliferation of Online Retailing and Emergence of Omnichannel Presence
4.4.2 Increasing Biodegradable Plastic Packaging for Online Retail
4.5 Market Restraints
4.5.1 Regulation Pertaining to Use of Plastic and Lack of Exposure to Good Manufacturing Practices
5 IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON E-COMMERCE PLASTIC PACKAGING INDUSTRY
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 Product Type
6.1.1 Pouches and Bags
6.1.2 Protective Packaging
6.1.3 Shrink Films
6.1.4 Other Product Types
6.2 End-user Industry
6.2.1 Consumer Electronics and Media
6.2.2 Food and Beverage
6.2.3 Personal Care Products
6.2.4 Fashion and Apparel
6.2.5 Home Care and Furnishing
6.2.6 Other End-user Industries
6.3.1 North America
6.3.4 Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East and Africa
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Amcor PLC
7.1.2 Pregis LLC
7.1.3 Sealed Air Corporation
7.1.4 Sonoco Products Company
7.1.5 Storopack Hans Reichenecker GmbH
7.1.6 Berry Global Inc.
7.1.7 Huhtamki Oyj
7.1.8 CCL Industries Inc.
7.1.9 Clondalkin Flexible Packaging
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/gpmof5