TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Canadian magazine publishers across the country applaud the federal government and the Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Canadian Heritage, for supporting this vital cultural and economic sector during the Coronavirus pandemic.
“The COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations, administered by the Department of Canadian Heritage, is providing truly comprehensive support to the Canadian magazine publishing sector,” said Joyce Byrne, President of the Alberta Magazine Publishers Association.
The federal government’s support of the Canadian magazine publishing sector during COVID-19 includes:
- Expedited payments to Canadian magazine publishers through the Aid to Publishers component of the Canada Periodical Fund
- Expedited payments to Canadian magazine publishers who receive support through the Canada Council for the Arts
- A top-up to Canadian magazine publishers who receive support through the Aid to Publishers component of the Canada Periodical Fund
- A top-up to Canadian magazine publishers who receive support through the Canada Council for the Arts
- Support for Canadian magazine publishers that would not normally receive funding from the Canada Periodical Fund or the Canada Council for the Arts
“Canadians coast to coast to coast value the news, stories and articles of interest published in their favourite Canadian magazines,” affirmed Caty Bérubé, President of L’Association québécoise des éditeurs de magazines. “Now, more than ever, Canadians rely on trusted news upon which they can base decisions that affect their daily lives and their lives in the longer-term. Canadian magazines deliver just this type of trusted content," continued Bérubé.
“At the same time, though,” observed Jessica Key, President of the Magazine Association of BC, “like so many other sectors, Canadian magazine publishers have seen their revenue channels decimated by COVID-19, with double-digit declines in advertising, newsstand and events revenues.”
There are 2,600 Canadian magazines published in all provinces and territories, employing tens of thousands of people across the country.
“It is critical that Canadians continue to have access to the content they find in Canadian magazines; content that they trust and value,” said Jennifer Varkonyi, Chair of Magazines Canada and Publisher of Maisonneuve magazine. “Minister Guilbeault and the federal government have demonstrated their unequivocal belief and confidence in this sector via their comprehensive support for Canadian magazines in the COVID-19 Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations.”