SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Although it’s the first week of summer, hotter temperatures arrived in California weeks ago. Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) encourages customers to follow simple steps and utilize free tools and programs to minimize the impact of summer heat on energy bills.
We understand that higher-than-expected bills are frustrating, and PG&E is here to help customers understand rate plan changes and take control of their energy costs.
“With more customers staying at and working from home, small changes can result in big savings. The cooling system accounts for more than half of the energy usage in the average home or business. These customer tools and programs help make it easier for the system to work efficiently, which can help customers save on energy bills,” said Laurie Giammona, PG&E Senior Vice President and Chief Customer Officer.
Simple Ways to Save
- Raise the thermostat and turn it up when leaving. Customers can save on annual cooling costs for each degree the temperature is increased in their home during the hot summer months. Set the thermostat to 78 degrees when at home, health permitting. Turn it up to 85 degrees when not at home.
- Check air filters once a month. Dirty filters cause your system to work harder to keep the area cool, wasting energy and money.
- Maintain air conditioner: Customers can lower their monthly energy bill by keeping air conditioning equipment working at peak efficiency. Schedule regular maintenance for cooling equipment.
Saving Made Easy
To take advantage of additional programs, tools and savings opportunities, PG&E recommends customers become more familiar with:
- Online tool to determine the best rate: Customers can access detailed energy cost and usage information down to the day, see a personalized rate comparison to determine if they are on the best rate and more. Customers can sign up for an online account at www.pge.com.
- PG&E Marketplace: Compare and shop for energy-efficient appliances and electronics to reduce your electricity costs and find the model that is right for you. You can also read product reviews and get linked directly to retailers. https://marketplace.pge.com/
- Home Energy Checkup: In less than five minutes, customers can find how much of their home energy use goes to cooling, heating hot water, appliances, lighting and other uses. The results enable customers to make customized changes to enhance their home's energy efficiency, along with estimates of how much money can be saved. www.pge.com/home-energy-checkup
- Budget Billing: This program averages customers’ monthly energy costs to help monthly payment amounts remain more consistent, even if energy use changes significantly from season to season. www.pge.com/budgetbilling
- Financial assistance programs for income-qualifying customers: Our assistance programs include California Alternative Rates for Energy (CARE), the Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) Program, Energy Saving Assistance Program and payment plans. With rising unemployment due to the pandemic, many customers who would not have qualified for CARE and other programs may now qualify. Customers who recently applied for unemployment may still be eligible for the program.
For more tips on how to save this summer, visit www.pge.com/summer.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric energy companies in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with more than 24,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation’s cleanest energy to nearly 16 million people in Northern and Central California. For more information, visit pge.com and pge.com/news.