TUKWILA, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As more dog owners than ever will be spending National Pet Day at home this Saturday, April 11, Darwin’s Natural Pet Products encourages them to celebrate with fresh, home-delivered food and lots of exercise to encourage a healthy weight. Even though veterinarians categorize more than half of dogs (56%) as clinically overweight or obese*, just 23% of American dog owners think their dog is overweight, according to a study commissioned by Darwin’s Natural Pet Products.
“Instead of feeding your dog extra treats, show them you care by making sure they are getting the right nutrition and exercise,” suggested Gary Tashjian, founder of Darwin’s Natural Pet Products. “Spending extra hours at home is the perfect reason to take note of your dog’s weight, and if necessary, to make healthy changes like home-delivered, fresh food to keep your best friend around for many years to come.”
To help pet owners understand more about dog obesity, Darwin’s has developed its Complete Guide to Canine Obesity in collaboration with veterinarians. Darwin’s is also sharing advice to help dog owners keep their dogs happy and healthy, even during social distancing.
Eight Tips for Healthy, Happy Dogs
- Try fresh, natural treats, like broccoli, snap peas, bananas, carrots, jerky, apples and in moderation, blueberries.
- Avoid feeding table scraps and any starchy human foods.
- Look into fresh dog food delivery to save a trip to the pet store.
- Keep to a regular mealtime schedule.
- Go for one walk a day.
- Portion your dog’s food based on the right amount for their breed.
- Track their progress as you implement healthy changes with photos or by weighing them.
- Show lots of love – now is the perfect time for extra cuddles, games of fetch and belly rubs.
Additional findings from Darwin’s Pet Obesity Research include:
- Nearly six-in-ten (59%) Americans with an overweight dog don’t realize it.
- Dog owners say that vets did not give an opinion about weight for 24% of dogs.
- 71% of dog owners believe their dog is an ideal weight.
- 69% of dogs do not get the recommended amount of exercise per week.
For more information, including helpful tips about how to keep your dog happy and healthy, visit: www.darwinspet.com/k9obesity
About Darwin’s Natural Pet Products
Darwin’s Natural Pet Products, a leading provider of raw pet food, offers home delivery of nutritious and raw pet food meals, feeding thousands of pets every day. Customers report on their pets’ improved health, mobility and energy. Darwin’s pet food is based on nutrition science and the natural diets of dogs and cats. For more information visit www.darwinspet.com.
Darwin's is committed to raising awareness about the issue of pet obesity and has a range of materials available, including:
- Interviews and case studies with dog owners and veterinarians
- Photos of dogs before and after their weight loss journeys
- An interview with Darwin’s CEO, Gary Tashjian