WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With a mission to provide high-quality contraceptives and accurate information on sexual and reproductive health, DKT International is proud to celebrate World Contraceptive Day with promotions and activities in countries around the world.
“Thanks to #WCD2019, a light is being shined on the much-needed conversation about access to sexual health education and contraceptive options. At DKT, we strive to keep that conversation going and do so in a variety of ways,” says Chris Purdy, CEO of DKT. “By way of contraceptive social marketing, our country programs speak to couples and youth with messaging that resonates and respects that specific culture. In 2018, our 24 programs successfully delivered 45 million couple years of protection (CYPs).”
The below is a snapshot of World Contraception Day (WCD) activities happening in DKT programs on WCD and all week long:
- DKT Ghana participates in ‘Family Planning Week’ with Ghana Health Services (GHS). In Ghana, WCD is observed as a week-long activity. With a theme of "family planning; know the options, make a choice," the DKT Ghana team will have free service uptake, condom distribution, and a DKT float made up of students, staff, and the general public. The float will give out condoms, educational flyers, and demonstrations on how contraceptive methods work.
- DKT launches DKT Liberia: Just in time for WCD, DKT is proud to announce its newest program- DKT Liberia, a regional extension of DKT’s office in Ghana. DKT Liberia will participate in its own “Family Planning Week” from September 23-30 with the Ministry of Health and major family planning stakeholders.
- DKT Turkey launches emergency contraceptive website. To provide information and awareness surrounding emergency contraception, DKT Turkey launches a new website: www.ertesigunyaninda.org (translates to emergencycontraceptivebesideyou.org), an educational website on the morning after pill.
- DKT Mexico hosts Prudence Fest concert. In honor of WCD, DKT Mexico hosted a massive concert on September 21 called Prudence Fest that mixed contraceptives with fun. With rock bands and a famous YouTube sensation, Vete a la Versh, the conversation around contraceptives was front and center. DKT Mexico also has a mobile clinic, Ruta 69, that provides young people with affordable contraceptives, easy to access information, and health counselors.
- DKT Nigeria partners with Lagos State University: To promote awareness of contraceptive methods, DKT Nigeria will host a pop up at Lagos State University and answer questions related to contraception. The event will be live streamed on their Instagram, @honeyandbanana. DKT will also launch a voucher program where women can redeem an e-voucher for contraceptives at their closest clinic.
“On World Contraception Day and every day, our social marketing programs are always finding new ways to reach youth and drive home the importance of safe sex and family planning,” adds Purdy.