OAKLAND, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Marqeta, the leading global modern card issuing platform, announced today that it expects to create 175 new jobs across the 2019 calendar year, representing significant annual growth in headcount. The leading global fintech, which was founded in Oakland in 2010 and is still headquartered in the city, began the year with 230 employees and expects to grow past 400 people as it heads into 2020.
This job growth has been fueled by several major corporate milestones for Marqeta across the last 12 twelve months:
- In May, Marqeta closed a $260 million Series E fundraising round, which quadrupled the company’s valuation at close to $2 billion.
- Marqeta expects its revenue to double in 2019, for the fourth consecutive year, and customer spending through its platform to triple.
- Marqeta bolstered its executive team, adding Chief People Officer Barbie Brewer (formerly of Netflix and Gitlab), Chief Legal Officer Seth Weissman (formerly of Solar City), with Senior Vice President of Operations Fiona Taylor also recently joining the company (formerly of Tesla).
- Marqeta expanded its Oakland office, opening a third floor in its 180 Grand Avenue location, and continued hiring aggressively internationally. Its London office, opened in late 2018, has 15 employees and is growing quickly.
- Marqeta was named to Forbes’ 2019 Fintech 50 list, was named Best Fintech Startup at the 2019 FinTech Breakthrough Awards, and Top Enterprise Technology Company at the 2019 LendIt Fintech Industry Awards.
“Marqeta was founded and took shape in Oakland and it has been immensely satisfying to see such a strong local tech hub form in parallel with our own growth over the last decade,” said Jason Gardner, Founder and CEO of Marqeta. “We’ve built real, meaningful open API card issuing and processing technology that is set up to have generational impact in the payment industry. Oakland has been the ideal home for these innovations, both an intricate part of the Silicon Valley ecosystem, with its own unique sense of community and individualism.”
“Marqeta’s rate of growth and success in 2019 reflects the spirit of achievement, dedication to teamwork and commitment to excellence that is a cornerstone of Marqeta culture. The fact that we’ve been able to protect and foster this culture while bringing on so many new people is a huge point of company pride,” said Barbie Brewer, Chief People Officer at Marqeta. “We have an amazing base in Oakland, and have been able to export that same culture of diversity, respect and inclusion to our international offices and growing base of remote workers. Marqeta’s focus on making things simple and getting things done have been a huge asset at a time of great change.”
“Congratulations to Marqeta on reaching such a significant growth milestone,” Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf said. “More importantly, we appreciate the community work and volunteerism ingrained in the company culture that lives up to our shared Oakland values.”
Marqeta is the leading global modern card issuing platform, providing the most advanced infrastructure and tools for building highly configurable payment cards. With its open API, the Marqeta platform is designed for innovators who want a simplified way of managing payment programs so that they can create world-class experiences and power new modes of commerce. Marqeta is headquartered in Oakland, California. For more information, visit www.marqeta.com, Twitter and LinkedIn.