CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--LafargeHolcim today announced the names of the eight recipients of the 36th Annual Gygi and von Wyss Foundation Scholarship, an award open to children of employees of LafargeHolcim companies in the US.
“I believe investing in the education of the next generation is essential for the development of tomorrow’s workforce and a contribution that fosters the economic health of the communities we serve,” said Jamie Gentoso, CEO US Cement.
Each winner will receive a financial scholarship worth $6,000 for the 2019-2020 academic year and will be eligible to continue receiving the scholarship for an additional three years based on continuous academic performance. Since the Foundation began 35 years ago, more than 100 young adults have received the Gygi and von Wyss Foundation Scholarship.
This year’s recipients included:
- Catherine Gerst, daughter of Jocelyn Gerst, Vice President US Marketing & Communications, Illinois
- Margaret Hope, daughter of Randy Hope, ITSM Operations Analyst, North American IT Services, Minnesota
- Colton Jackson, son of Ronald Jackson, RMX Plant Batch Operator, Texas
- Annika Olsen, daughter of Lisa Olsen, Regional Counsel, Michigan
- Morgan Powell, daughter of Dustin Powell, Cement Market Manager, Midwest Cement Sales Group, Iowa
- Bronson Sloan, son of Rodney Sloan, Cement Terminal Manager, Theodore Cement Terminal, Alabama
- Serena Smith, daughter of Brian Smith, Regional Counsel, Michigan
- Jessica Tardich, daughter of Michael Tardich, Cement Market Manager, North Central Cement Sales Group, Michigan
“We value the opportunity to support our employees and their families and the Gygi and von Wyss Scholarship is one of many outstanding benefits we offer to accomplish this goal,” said Jay Moreau, CEO US ACM.
This scholarship was originally established in 1983 to recognize the accomplishments of the children of Holcim employees. Since then, the scholarship program has been expanded to include children of employees of all LafargeHolcim companies in the US. The award honors the memories of Hans Gygi and Marc R. von Wyss, two former leaders of Holcim and its predecessor companies.
LafargeHolcim is the leading global building materials and solutions company. It has four businesses: cement, aggregates and ready-mix concrete as well as advanced solutions and products that include precast concrete, asphalt and mortar. With its broad portfolio LafargeHolcim solves the toughest challenges facing masons, builders, architects and engineers, bringing industry-leading innovations and services to customers challenged by urbanization, population growth and the demand for sustainability. Headquartered in Switzerland and with leading positions in all regions, LafargeHolcim employs approximately 80,000 employees in around 80 countries and has a portfolio that is equally balanced between developing and mature markets.
In the United States, LafargeHolcim companies include close to 350 sites in 43 states and employ 7,000 people. Our customers rely on us to help them design and build better communities with innovative solutions that deliver structural integrity and eco-efficiency.