HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--People with Medicare and Medicare Advantage in and around Houston will have access to senior-focused, primary care centers when Partners in Primary Care opens five new medical centers in the metro area.
Partners in Primary Care, a subsidiary of Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), is part of a family of senior-focused, primary care centers that deliver care to 35,000 Medicare Advantage patients. Each Partners in Primary Care center serves members from many different Medicare health plans. Like its existing centers, each new Partners in Primary Care center will be staffed by board-eligible physicians and care teams who have been specially trained to treat the senior population.
“At our Partners in Primary Care practices, physicians spend more time with their patients and our care teams focus on creating personalized care plans designed to help patients achieve their best possible health,” said Renee Buckingham, president of Humana’s Care Delivery Organization. “Senior-focused care goes well beyond treating you when you’re sick; it can include helping patients with social, behavioral and financial needs as well.”
Four centers will open this summer with one more opening in the fall in Meyerland. The first four new centers will open in the following locations:
- Downtown East, 5104 Harrisburg Blvd., Ste. 800, Houston , TX 77011
- Gulfgate, 545 Gulfgate Center Mall, Houston, TX 77087
- Jacinto City, 1910 John Ralston Road, Ste. 200, Houston, TX 77013
- Pasadena, 3915 Spencer Highway, Pasadena, TX 77504
Members of the community can learn more by calling (713) 804-8061.
The new primary care centers are also designed to foster collaboration with the University of Houston and its Humana Integrated Health System Sciences Institute. The institute fosters interprofessional team-based care, with a focus on health professions training programs in the colleges of medicine, nursing, optometry, pharmacy and social work. In September 2018, Humana and the University of Houston announced a long-term strategic relationship to train future health care leaders with a focus on advancing population health, improving health outcomes and expanding the use of value-based payment models.
Partners in Primary Care and the University of Houston will collaborate in a wide variety of ways to enhance quality-based care and support the use of best practices in the delivery of care, including:
- Partners in Primary Care centers will be used as learning labs to host University of Houston pharmacy and social work students in rotations to learn about integrated care first-hand and serve the communities closest to the university. Future rotations will also include physician and nursing students.
- Partners in Primary Care and the University of Houston will collaborate using data and technology resources to innovate and enhance primary care delivery for seniors.
- Partners in Primary Care will provide input into the development of curriculum about integrated models of care for the new University of Houston College of Medicine’s class of physicians.
“Our goal is to improve health care delivery and the health of our communities by empowering students to become agents of change,” said Lamar Pritchard, Ph.D., Dean of the UH College of Pharmacy. “Collaborating with Partners in Primary Care will not only help seniors live their best lives, but our students will experience the effectiveness of integrated care first hand. That’s a win-win.”
“Seniors have different medical and physical challenges than other adult patients, and those challenges become more unique as they age. Houston has one of largest and fastest growing populations of seniors and we’re excited about the impact Partners in Primary Care will have on their quality of life,” said Kate Blackmon, Vice President for Partners in Primary Care. “The partnership with the University of Houston makes these primary care centers truly stand out, and together we will focus on finding ways to better care for our aging population to ensure they live their best life.”
The centers will include:
- A pharmacist who will be embedded in the care model as part of the care team. This pharmacist will consult with patients and physicians to drive optimal drug therapy and support quality of care initiatives.
- A clinical advocate who will be part of the care team to consult on social services and other behavioral health needs.
- A community center that will offer free health and fitness programming, games and wellness activities that are open to anyone in the community with a goal to help seniors stay active and form social circles.
- Partnerships with the local food banks, churches, and community organizations to support the social and well-being needs of patients.
For more information on Partners in Primary Care centers in other states, visit www.PartnersInPrimaryCare.com.
About Partners in Primary Care
Partners in Primary Care (Partners) is a primary care medical group practice operating centers in Kansas, Missouri, North Carolina and South Carolina, and is expanding into Texas in 2019. Partners has a strong emphasis on senior-focused primary care to members of Medicare Advantage health plans. Partners is committed to providing personalized, high-quality primary care combined with an excellent patient experience. Partners has experience in both the treatment and management of most chronic and acute-care conditions. The practices also provide health education and value-added, well-being services at their centers and around their neighborhoods to help both patients and community members improve their health. The management services organization for Partners is a wholly owned subsidiary of Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM). For more information visit www.PartnersInPrimaryCare.com.
Humana Inc. is committed to helping our millions of medical and specialty members achieve their best health. Our successful history in care delivery and health plan administration is helping us create a new kind of integrated care with the power to improve health and well-being and lower costs. Our efforts are leading to a better quality of life for people with Medicare, families, individuals, military service personnel, and communities at large.
To accomplish that, we support physicians and other health care professionals as they work to deliver the right care in the right place for their patients, our members. Our range of clinical capabilities, resources and tools – such as in-home care, behavioral health, pharmacy services, data analytics and wellness solutions – combine to produce a simplified experience that makes health care easier to navigate and more effective.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases and conference calls
- Calendar of events
- Corporate Governance information