TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Bloom Burton & Co. is pleased to announce the three finalists for the 2019 Bloom Burton Award. Bestowed annually, the Bloom Burton Award honours the individual scientist, inventor, executive, entrepreneur, industry leader, or policy maker who made the greatest contribution to Canada’s innovative healthcare industry in the previous year. Nominees were accepted from any of the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostic/imaging, research instrumentation, consumer health, services or health tech sectors, and equal consideration was given to contributions across any stage of development – from discovery to commercial end markets.
The finalists are, in alphabetical order:
- Gilbert Godin, President and Chief Operating Officer, and Greg Gubitz, Chief Executive Officer, HLS Therapeutics;
- David Lickrish, President and Chief Executive Officer of Highland Therapeutics; and
- Poul Sorensen, Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, and Distinguished Scientist, BC Cancer Agency.
All three finalists will be invited to and celebrated at the Bloom Burton Award Gala on September 26, 2019 at the Four Seasons Hotel in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Each of the three finalists will receive a $25,000 cash prize and a single winner will receive the 2019 Bloom Burton Award.
The Bloom Burton Award finalists and winner are chosen by an independent panel of esteemed judges, all of whom are respected international leaders in healthcare investment, entrepreneurship and journalism. The panel includes:
- Michael Altman, Managing Director, Perceptive Advisors
- Karen Bernstein, Co-Founder and Chairman, BioCentury Inc.
- Cecilia Gonzalo, Partner, Oberland Capital
- Carl Gordon, Partner and Co-Head of Global Private Equity, OrbiMed Advisors
- Dennis Purcell, Founder and Senior Advisor, Aisling Capital
- Melinda Richter, Global Head of Johnson & Johnson Innovation, JLABS
- Mayukh Sukhatme, President, Roivant Sciences
Jolyon Burton, co-founder and President of Bloom Burton commented, “We received a number of exceptional nominations for the 2019 Bloom Burton Award, and it was a very difficult task for our distinguished panel of judges to select these three finalists from all the nominated candidates. We are delighted that this year’s finalists represent all the best facets of meaningful and lasting healthcare innovation – from scientific, translational and commercial innovation - to private and public company entrepreneurs who took significant risk along their journeys to bring much needed medicines to market. We are looking forward to celebrating their achievements and recognizing their significant contributions to healthcare at this year’s Bloom Burton Award Gala.”
A limited number of table sponsorships and tickets are available. Please visit www.bloomburton.com.