MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--A poster session on the “Importance of Safety Tests for Rinse Off Products,” was presented by Dr. Antonella Tosti, MD, a Fredric Brandt Endowed Professor of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, at the 11th World Congress of Hair in Barcelona.
The focus of the poster, MONAT Global, whose products were subjected to rigorous tests ultimately showed that they:
- Do not irritate the skin
- Do not contain strong contact allergens
- Do not damage the hair fiber
In fact, the results of this study showed that the MONAT tested products are non-irritating to the skin and actually improve the hair shaft quality.
Dr. Tosti’s presentation shared that shampoos and conditioners are considered among the safest cosmetic products as there is limited skin contact and they are diluted with water during use. Consumers may complain of adverse effects after use of hair care products, including skin irritation and allergy, hair damage and even hair loss. This is why it’s vital for hair care products to be tested for irritation, allergy and damage to the hair fiber.
Tests were performed to evaluate the safety of MONAT shampoos and conditioners on the skin and hair shaft. Specifically, the tests were designed to evaluate the potential for skin irritation or allergic reaction using final products and/or single ingredient/ingredient mix. These tests were performed at Kosmoscience Laboratory, and were in addition to the standard safety testing that MONAT does on each and every product it sells.
Specifically, the study tested the following products:
- MONAT shampoos: Renew, Revive, Black 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner, Intense Repair
- MONAT conditioners: Intense Repair, Restore, Revitalize
- MONAT treatment: Intense Repair Treatment
The tests included:
- Repeated insult patch tests (RIPT) using final products and nine selected ingredients/ ingredient mix on 50 volunteers for 45 days
- Safety in real condition of use (SRCU) with final products on 60 volunteers including subjects with normal skin, sensitive skin and subjects with history of psoriasis
- Videodermoscopy to detect scalp deposits on hair treated with REJUVENIQE™ Oil and Intense Repair Treatment
- Wet compatibility and tensile strength of the wet hair shaft
The results showed:
- No negative results on RIPT or SRCU test subjects
- Improved hair combability and strength
- No hair breakage or loss of hair flexibility even when used on bleached or damaged hair
- No change in superficial structure of normal, virgin hair
- Improved superficial structure of damaged bleached/dyed hair
“Our poster was well received and spurred many enlightening discussions,” said Dr. Tosti. “I was pleased to be able to present the MONAT tests together with my colleagues, Lucienne Skalski Campos, Global Regulatory Affairs Sr. Manager - Claim & Safety Substantiation, B&R Products, and Jamie S. Ross, Senior Vice President of Technical Services and Head of R&D for B&R Products, to many of the leading physicians and scientists in the field of hair loss and scalp disease.”
Dr. Tosti is a founding member and past president of the European Hair Research Society, and Secretary and Treasurer of the North American Research Society, as well as a founding member and secretary of the International Society of Trichoscopy. She is the editor of four textbooks on diagnosis and treatment of hair disorders including Dermoscopy of Hair and Nails, the first hair and nail atlas on dermoscopy published. She is the author of more than 750 scientific publications and is a MONAT Scientific Advisory Board member.
The 11th World Congress of Hair was held April 24-27 in Sitges, Barcelona and offered a comprehensive, international hair research meeting for the advancement and knowledge in hair growth, hair and scalp diseases, and clinical care.
About MONAT Global
MONAT Global is a wholly owned subsidiary of Alcora Corporation, whose holdings include L’EUDINE Global, an established Direct Selling company specializing in premium beauty and wellness products throughout the US and Latin America, and B&R Products, Inc., their research, development and manufacturing Laboratory subsidiary. All three companies are headquartered in and around Miami, Florida. MONAT was founded in 2014 to enter the multi-billion dollar haircare market and provides groundbreaking opportunities through a novel Social Marketing approach to Direct Sales. The company offers a unique and exciting business model and one of the most generous compensation plans in the U.S., Canadian and U.K. markets.