JERUSALEM--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) today announced the launch of a generic version of Sabril®1 (vigabatrin) tablets, 500 mg in the US, the first generic version of Sabril® (vigabatrin) tablets to enter the US market.
Vigabatrin oral tablets are indicated as adjunctive therapy for adults and children (10 years of age or older) with refractory complex partial seizures (CPS) who have inadequately responded to several alternative treatments and for whom the potential benefits outweigh the risk of vision loss. Vigabatrin tablets are not indicated as a first line treatment for CPS.
Brendan O’Grady, EVP and Head of North America Commercial at Teva said, “This launch represents a notable addition to our generics portfolio and underscores our commitment to ensuring that patients with complex, chronic conditions have more treatment options.”
With over 550 generic medicines available, Teva has the largest portfolio of FDA-approved generic products on the market and holds the leading position in first-to-file opportunities, with over 100 pending first-to-files in the U.S. Currently, one in seven generic prescriptions dispensed in the U.S. is filled with a Teva generic product.
SABRIL® tablets had annual sales of $180 million in the U.S., according to IQVIA data as of November 2018.
About Vigabatrin Tablets
Vigabatrin tablets are indicated as adjunctive therapy for adults and pediatric patients 10 years of age and older with refractory complex partial seizures who have inadequately responded to several alternative treatments and for whom the potential benefits outweigh the risk of vision loss. Vigabatrin tablets are not indicated as a first line agent for complex partial seizures.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
WARNING: Permanent Vision Loss. Vigabatrin can cause permanent bilateral concentric visual field constriction, including tunnel vision that can result in disability. In some cases, vigabatrin may also decrease visual acuity. Risk increases with increasing dose and cumulative exposure, but there is no dose or exposure to vigabatrin known to be free of risk of vision loss. Risk of new and worsening vision loss continues as long as vigabatrin is used, and possibly after discontinuing vigabatrin. Vigabatrin tablets are available only through a restricted program called the Vigabatrin REMS Program.
Antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), including vigabatrin, increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior in patients taking these drugs for any indication. Other possible serious side effects include: neurotoxicity, anemia, somnolence and fatigue, peripheral neuropathy, weight gain, and edema. Abnormal MRI signal changes have been observed in some infants treated with vigabatrin for infantile spasms. Pregnancy Category C: Vigabatrin produced developmental toxicity, including teratogenic and neurohistopathological effects, when administered to pregnant animals at clinically relevant doses.
As with all AEDs, vigabatrin should be withdrawn gradually. The most common adverse reactions reported in controlled studies of adults with refractory complex partial seizures (incidence greater than or equal to 5% over placebo) were: in addition to permanent vision loss, fatigue, somnolence, nystagmus, tremor, blurred vision, memory impairment, weight gain, arthralgia, abnormal coordination, and confusional state.
The most common adverse reactions reported in controlled studies of pediatric patients (10 to 16 years of age) with refractory complex partial seizures (incidence greater than or equal to 5% over placebo) were: weight gain, upper respiratory tract infection, tremor, fatigue, aggression, and diplopia.
For more information, including the complete Boxed Warning regarding risk for permanent vision loss, please see accompanying Full Prescribing Information. A copy may be requested from Teva US Medical Information at 888-TEVA-USA (888-838-2872) or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Teva’s Public Relations or Investor Relations contacts.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) is a global leader in generic medicines, with innovative treatments in select areas, including CNS, pain and respiratory. We deliver high-quality generic products and medicines in nearly every therapeutic area to address unmet patient needs. We have an established presence in generics, specialty, OTC and API, building on more than a century-old legacy, with a fully integrated R&D function, strong operational base and global infrastructure and scale. We strive to act in a socially and environmentally responsible way. Headquartered in Israel, with production and research facilities around the globe, we employ 45,000 professionals, committed to improving the lives of millions of patients. Learn more at www.tevapharm.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 regarding Teva's vigabatrin tablets, which are based on management’s current beliefs and expectations and are subject to substantial risks and uncertainties, both known and unknown, that could cause our future results, performance or achievements to differ significantly from that expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Important factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include risks relating to:
- The uncertainty of the commercial success of our generic version of Sabril®, including due to a potential launch of an Authorized Generic version;
- our ability to successfully compete in the marketplace, including: that we are substantially dependent on our generic products; competition for our specialty products, especially COPAXONE®, our leading medicine, which faces competition from existing and potential additional generic versions and orally-administered alternatives; competition from companies with greater resources and capabilities; efforts of pharmaceutical companies to limit the use of generics including through legislation and regulations; consolidation of our customer base and commercial alliances among our customers; the increase in the number of competitors targeting generic opportunities and seeking U.S. market exclusivity for generic versions of significant products; price erosion relating to our products, both from competing products and increased regulation; delays in launches of new products and our ability to achieve expected results from investments in our product pipeline; our ability to take advantage of high-value opportunities; the difficulty and expense of obtaining licenses to proprietary technologies; and the effectiveness of our patents and other measures to protect our intellectual property rights;
- our substantially increased indebtedness and significantly decreased cash on hand, which may limit our ability to incur additional indebtedness, engage in additional transactions or make new investments, and may result in a further downgrade of our credit ratings; and our inability to raise debt or borrow funds in amounts or on terms that are favorable to us;
- our business and operations in general, including: failure to effectively execute the restructuring plan announced in December 2017; uncertainties related to, and failure to achieve, the potential benefits and success of our new senior management team and organizational structure; harm to our pipeline of future products due to the ongoing review of our R&D programs; our ability to develop and commercialize additional pharmaceutical products; potential additional adverse consequences following our resolution with the U.S. government of our FCPA investigation; compliance with sanctions and other trade control laws; manufacturing or quality control problems, which may damage our reputation for quality production and require costly remediation; interruptions in our supply chain; disruptions of our or third party information technology systems or breaches of our data security; the failure to recruit or retain key personnel; variations in intellectual property laws that may adversely affect our ability to manufacture our products; challenges associated with conducting business globally, including adverse effects of political or economic instability, major hostilities or terrorism; significant sales to a limited number of customers in our U.S. market; our ability to successfully bid for suitable acquisition targets or licensing opportunities, or to consummate and integrate acquisitions; and our prospects and opportunities for growth if we sell assets;
- compliance, regulatory and litigation matters, including: costs and delays resulting from the extensive governmental regulation to which we are subject; the effects of reforms in healthcare regulation and reductions in pharmaceutical pricing, reimbursement and coverage; governmental investigations into sales and marketing practices; potential liability for patent infringement; product liability claims; increased government scrutiny of our patent settlement agreements; failure to comply with complex Medicare and Medicaid reporting and payment obligations; and environmental risks;
- other financial and economic risks, including: our exposure to currency fluctuations and restrictions as well as credit risks; potential impairments of our intangible assets; potential significant increases in tax liabilities; and the effect on our overall effective tax rate of the termination or expiration of governmental programs or tax benefits, or of a change in our business;
and other factors discussed in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2017, including in the section captioned “Risk Factors,” and in our other filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which are available at www.sec.gov and www.tevapharm.com. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made, and we assume no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements or other information contained herein, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. You are cautioned not to put undue reliance on these forward-looking statements.
1 Sabril® is a registered trademark of Lundbeck.