LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Leading health and well-being company Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) is announcing the first participating health care providers in its value-based care Hospital Incentive Program (HIP). Launched earlier this year, HIP is designed to provide higher-quality, coordinated care for Humana commercial members.
Humana’s four inaugural HIP participants are:
- Cleveland Clinic Florida
- Jackson Health System (Florida)
- TriHealth (Ohio)
- WellStar Health System (Georgia)
Through HIP, Humana works with health systems toward delivering integrated care and reducing duplicative services, hospital readmissions, and complication rates in acute care inpatient admissions. The program provides compensation based on quality improvement and performance in three key areas - patient experience, patient safety, and patient outcomes – as determined by a number of measures that address hospital-associated infection rates, care coordination, palliative care, and more. The metrics incorporate two care certification programs – Integrated Care Certification and hospital-based Palliative Care Coordination Certification - developed by The Joint Commission, the nation’s oldest and largest standards-setting and accrediting body in health care.
“We’re delighted to collaborate with the first participants in our value-based care initiative for hospitals,” said Oraida Roman, Vice President of Humana’s Value-Based Strategies Organization. “Humana is committed to providing dedicated support to our participants as they intensify their efforts to provide a coordinated experience for our members and help them achieve better health.”
Humana offers the HIP to general acute care hospitals participating in Humana’s commercial network. The program is part of Humana’s longstanding commitment to value-based care, which emphasizes:
- More personal time with health professionals and personalized care that is tailored to each person’s unique health situation;
- Access to proactive health screenings and programs that are focused on preventing illness;
- Improved care for people living with chronic conditions with a focus on avoiding health complications;
- Leveraging technologies, such as data analytics, that connect physicians and help them work as a team to coordinate care around the patient; and
- Reimbursement to physicians linked to the health outcomes of their patients rather than based solely on the quantity of services they provide (fee-for-service).
Humana has an extensive and growing value-based care presence. As of Sept. 30, 2018, Humana has more than two million individual Medicare Advantage members and approximately 115,000 commercial members who are cared for by more than 52,000 primary care physicians in more than 1,000 value-based relationships across 43 states and Puerto Rico. Humana’s total Medicare Advantage membership is more than 3.5 million members, which includes members affiliated with providers in value-based and standard Medicare Advantage settings. For more information, visit humana.com/provider/support/vbc.
Humana Inc. is committed to helping our millions of medical and specialty members achieve their best health. Our successful history in care delivery and health plan administration is helping us create a new kind of integrated care with the power to improve health and well-being and lower costs. Our efforts are leading to a better quality of life for people with Medicare, families, individuals, military service personnel, and communities at large.
To accomplish that, we support physicians and other health care professionals as they work to deliver the right care in the right place for their patients, our members. Our range of clinical capabilities, resources and tools – such as in-home care, behavioral health, pharmacy services, data analytics and wellness solutions – combine to produce a simplified experience that makes health care easier to navigate and more effective.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases and conference calls
- Calendar of events
- Corporate Governance information