SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--There are 153 million yoga-related videos on YouTube today.1 But every home practitioner watching them faces one big problem: there is no sure way to know if you’re doing those yoga moves correctly, or if you’re getting better. That’s about to change.
Introducing PIVOT Yoga, the world’s smartest yoga wear and instructional content that helps you perfect your practice from the comfort of your home. Now available for pre-order, PIVOT Yoga makes it possible for yogis to get feedback on their alignment, any time they like, from a teacher they choose — quickly, easily, and affordably.
“We’re excited for yogis all over North America,” said Joe Chamdani, CEO & Co-Founder of TuringSense, intelligent wearables pioneer and developer of PIVOT Yoga. “We know how hard it is to learn yoga, how much yogis want to improve, and how many yogis want to practice at home. Solving these problems has required putting million-dollar technology into the hands of a yogi for less than the cost of a few classes.” He continued, “Our vision is really big. It’s not just to be the Netflix or Peloton of yoga — we want to build a whole new, interactive, and completely customized way to learn and practice."
A Complete System
PIVOT Yoga consists of an exclusively-developed line of yoga wear, with tiny sensors built into each garment. These clothes look, feel, breathe, wash, and perform like regular high-end yoga clothes, but communicate wirelessly with the company’s free mobile app and a set of online classes developed with some of the world’s best teachers.
How It Works
A PIVOT Yoga user will simply put on the clothes, open the PIVOT Yoga mobile app, and choose an online class to stream. After completing a short calibration routine, the user then begins the yoga sequence. As soon as the instructor appears on screen, PIVOT Yoga will digitally insert a live avatar of the yogi’s body into the video, allowing practicing side by side with one’s favorite teacher. The yogi has complete voice control over playback of the video, including the ability to pause it while adjusting a pose. Plus — and this is also a worldwide first — the yogi can get into the pose and ask the teacher, “How’s this look?” The teacher, in their own voice, will then respond, in an automatic but completely customized way, and make a specific, down-to-the-inch suggestion to the yogi about how to improve the pose. View our video here.
PIVOT Yoga’s platform, three years in the making, features patented technology with several industry firsts and unique features:
- Live Avatar Display Inside an Online Class Video. On PIVOT only, a yogi can effectively practice alongside the teacher, without leaving home or having a private lesson. Data capture from the yogi’s body is updated at 50 Hz (50 times a second) for a lifelike, accurate avatar presentation.
- Motion AI: “How’s This Look?” With PIVOT technology each teacher can have a completely different point of view about a yogi’s pose, so each class experience is unique. When a yogi asks a teacher inside a PIVOT online class, “How’s this look?” the answer will differ depending on the teacher leading the class and will be customized to that yogi’s body position at that moment. Teachers can also incorporate variations and modifications, allowing for different body types and flexibility levels.
- Body-Controlled Operation. Without leaving a pose, yogis can control their experience using voice input and double-taps on particular areas of the body.
- 720-Degree Views. Because PIVOT technology is based on digital motion capture, PIVOT can display all sides of a pose to a yogi, instantly.
- Quick Setup. PIVOT technology incorporates new ways to do digital motion capture without using some of the balkier components of standard motion sensors. The result is a radical improvement in ease of use and “put-on-and-go” setup.
- Million-Dollar Accuracy. PIVOT technology has been tested against multimillion-dollar Hollywood motion capture systems and its accuracy is comparable yet costs thousands of times less.
PIVOT Yoga Pricing & Availability
PIVOT Yoga is now available for pre-order to residents of the U.S. and Canada. The garments are available for a special pre-order price of $99 for BOTH the Top and the Pants, half the cost of high-end yoga clothes using similar fabrics. There is a content subscription charge of $19/month, which will not be charged until the clothes are shipped. The free mobile app can be downloaded from the App Store and will be available on iPhones 6 or later running at least iOS v11. (An Android version is expected later.)
The PIVOT Yoga Shirt & Pants are available online for pre-order now.
An Opportunity for Yoga Teachers
PIVOT Yoga also gives yoga instructors the opportunity to extend their reach beyond the classroom. Surveys show that well over half of yogis would prefer to practice at home. However, this has been an impossible market for studio-based yoga teachers to reach. Now with PIVOT Yoga, teachers will be able to have students from around the world, at any time — day or night. And while often there is not enough time to devote to individual feedback for studio-based instruction, PIVOT can be a way to augment that.
About PIVOT Yoga
PIVOT Yoga, the world’s smartest yoga wear and online instruction, offers the first way for yogis to perfect their practice and get a teacher’s feedback any time from the comfort of their home. PIVOT Yoga is the first consumer product developed by TuringSense, a pioneer in intelligent wearables technology. Revolutionizing instruction for all kinds of human movement activities, the company’s line of PIVOT-branded consumer products uses patented technology to enable consumers to learn skills and track progress. TuringSense is venture-backed and based in Santa Clara, CA, the heart of Silicon Valley. For more information, visit http://www.pivot.yoga/.
1 As of November 21, 2018. See https://www.google.com/search?q=yoga+site:youtube.com.