Taking the following precautions can help keep families, employees and property safe:
Personal and Home Safety
- Keep mobile devices fully charged, and build an emergency kit so that you have essential items and important documents assembled in advance of evacuations.
- Know your evacuation route and leave as soon as an evacuation order is issued. Share your plans with someone outside of the storm area.
- Secure all doors and board up windows, if possible, to protect against flying debris. Also consider reinforcing garage doors.
- Stay inside if you are unable to leave the area, and stay away from all windows, skylights and glass doors. Do not go outside, even if the weather appears to have calmed. The eye of the storm can pass quickly, leaving you outside when strong winds resume.
- Fill the fuel tanks on your emergency generator. Fill your vehicles’ fuel tanks as well.
Additional Considerations for Businesses
- Make sure your important records are protected — or duplicate them and move them off-site to a safe area.
- Confirm that your employee contact lists are up-to-date, and communicate plans with all necessary workers.
- Allow employees to work remotely if possible.
- Shut down production processes safely, and turn off the electricity for noncritical equipment.
Travelers Claim professionals are ready to help customers and communities recover from the effects of a severe storm. The company uses Mobile Claim Offices and FAA-certified drone operators to provide resources to customers and expedite the claim process.
For more information about preparing for a hurricane, visit the Travelers Prepare & Prevent website. For more information about filing a claim, visit the Travelers Claim website or call 1.800.Claim33 (1.800.252.4633).
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading provider of property casualty insurance for auto, home and business. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has approximately 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $29 billion in 2017. For more information, visit www.travelers.com.