LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) announced today that its Medicare plans for 2019 are designed to deliver affordable health benefits and wellness programs with added convenience and a focus on health and well-being for the whole person. Nearly all (97 percent) of Humana’s individual Medicare Advantage members will see enhanced or comparable value in their plan’s combination of monthly premiums and benefits in 2019, and 2.8 million members will see their monthly premiums decrease or stay the same.
Highlights of Humana’s 2019 Medicare plans include:
- Dental, hearing and vision coverage, fitness program memberships, home-delivered meals following an inpatient hospital stay, and an allowance for over-the-counter personal care items, at no additional cost, with most Humana Medicare Advantage plans;
- Home support and resources for caregivers, virtual doctor visits, telepsychiatry, personal emergency alert devices, rides to medical appointments, and acupuncture with select Humana Medicare Advantage plans;
- More $0 monthly premium Medicare Advantage HMO and PPO plans available across the country;
- And, more Special Needs Plans for dual-eligible (Medicare/Medicaid) members.
Humana’s concerted effort to enhance members’ 2019 benefits, while keeping monthly premium costs stable, can help members overcome barriers to health and well-being.
“Humana believes the best way to care for our Medicare members is through care for the whole person,” said Alan Wheatley, president, Retail Segment at Humana. “Health goes beyond physical symptoms – it’s a state of general well-being that encompasses a healthy body and mind – and our 2019 plans and benefits reinforce our ongoing commitment to support the total care our members need, well beyond the doctor’s office.”
Humana has served Medicare beneficiaries for more than three decades, with more than 8.5 million Medicare members in all 50 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, as of June 30, 2018. More than 3.5 million of those members are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan, which often provides them with extra coverage, such as prescription drug coverage and dental, hearing and vision benefits.
The Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plan Annual Election Period (AEP) begins Oct. 15 and will end on Dec. 7, 2018. During this enrollment period, people with Medicare can choose Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plans for the upcoming year. Humana’s 2019 Medicare offerings include a range of Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, with coverage that takes effect on Jan. 1, 2019. Humana also offers Medicare Supplement plans, which can be purchased year-round.
Medicare Advantage Plans
Medicare Advantage (MA) plans include all the benefits of Original Medicare (Parts A and B) in addition to offering additional health and wellness benefits and services. Many Medicare Advantage offerings combine medical and prescription drug coverage into one, easy-to-use plan.
Humana offers a wide choice of Medicare Advantage plans across the country – from HMOs, to local and regional PPOs and Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) plans – designed to meet a variety of needs. In 2019, Humana will expand HMO offerings into 97 new counties and introduce PPO plans in 352 new counties – marking a significant opportunity to reach an additional 7 million Medicare-eligible individuals across the country.
Many Humana Medicare Advantage plans include:
- Coverage for Medicare Parts A and B, with predictable copayments and no deductibles
- Part D prescription drug coverage (Medicare Advantage plans without Part D prescription coverage are also available)
- Benefits for services that Medicare doesn’t cover, including routine eye exams, preventive dental care and hearing coverage, including hearing aid coverage options for more than 2.6 million people
- Maximum out-of-pocket protection (on all Humana Medicare Advantage plans)
- Programs designed to improve health and manage chronic conditions
For 2019, Humana also has continued to expand its virtual visit telemedicine program, offering eligible members phone or Web access to board-certified physicians for non-emergency medical conditions. More than 1.8 million people will have virtual access to care providers through the program.
In addition, Humana is expanding transportation benefits. As a result, more than 1.2 million Humana Medicare Advantage members will have access to rides to doctor visits, participating gyms and fitness centers or other health-related appointments.
Humana’s new digital Medicare enrollment tools for 2019 will also simplify the process for licensed agents and consumers to review, choose and enroll in the right Medicare health and prescription drug plans for them during AEP.
Medicare Prescription Drug Plans
A Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) can help lower prescription drug expenses and protect against higher costs. Humana offers a number of PDP options, including the Humana Walmart Rx Plan (PDP), with plan premiums ranging from $22.20 to $35.70 depending on the state. The co-branded offering from Humana and Walmart is Humana’s most popular PDP option, according to enrollment data from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). It features:
- In-store copays as low as $1 on Tier 1 Preferred Generic drugs purchased at Walmart, Sam's Club, and Walmart Neighborhood Market pharmacies*
- Tier 1 mail-order copays as low as $0 for a 90-day supply at Humana Pharmacy, a mail order pharmacy that offers preferred cost sharing
- No deductible for many covered generic drugs, with more than 1,500 generic prescriptions covered by the plan that may help plan members save money**
Health and Well-Being Resources
Humana Medicare Advantage members often enjoy a variety of programs and services that foster healthy behaviors and promote lifelong well-being. For example:
- Go365TM, a wellness and rewards program designed to motivate and reward members for taking steps to improve and continue their healthy behaviors – available in 2019 to most Humana Medicare Advantage members
- The SilverSneakers® fitness program specially designed for Medicare Advantage members***
- The HumanaFirst® nurse advice line that offers guidance and answers to non-emergency questions 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- SmartSummary and SmartSummaryRx, which provide easy-to-read, personalized statements after a member has a claim, show how members use their health plan and what they’ve spent on health care
In addition, eligible Humana Medicare Advantage members who need help remaining independent at home have access to a care manager through Humana At HomeSM. Humana At Home Care Managers will call or visit them regularly and provide personalized education and assistance in accessing resources for medications, transportation and more.
Eligible members leaving a hospital who are at high risk to be readmitted, can also get help understanding and accessing the support they need to make the transition back home as smooth as possible.
For More Information
For more information about Humana’s 2019 Medicare offerings, visit www.Humana.com/Medicare or call toll-free 1-877-877-0714 (TTY: 711). Licensed sales agents are available 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time, seven days a week.
*The ability to take advantage of $1 copays for Preferred Generic drugs may be limited in areas where preferred cost-sharing pharmacies are not easily accessible.
** A $415 annual deductible applies to Tiers 3, 4 and 5.
***Not available with all plans.
Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) is committed to helping our millions of medical and specialty members achieve their best health. Our successful history in care delivery and health plan administration is helping us create a new kind of integrated care with the power to improve health and well-being and lower costs. Our efforts are leading to a better quality of life for people with Medicare, families, individuals, military service personnel, and communities at large.
To accomplish that, we support physicians and other health care professionals as they work to deliver the right care in the right place for their patients, our members. Our range of clinical capabilities, resources and tools – such as in-home care, behavioral health, pharmacy services, data analytics and wellness solutions – combine to produce a simplified experience that makes health care easier to navigate and more effective.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases and conference calls
- Calendar of events
- Corporate Governance information
Humana is a Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO, and PFFS organization and a stand-alone prescription drug plan with a Medicare contract. Humana is also a Coordinated Care Plan with both a Medicare contract and a contract with the applicable state Medicaid agencies. Enrollment in any Humana plan depends on contract renewal. This information is not a complete listing of benefits. Call 1-877-877-0714 (TTY: 711) for more information. Other Pharmacies are available in our network. Limitations on healthcare, prescription and telepyschiatry services delivered via virtual visits and communications options vary by state. Virtual visit services are not a substitute for emergency care and not intended to replace your primary care provider or other providers in your network. This material is provided for informational use only and should not be construed as medical advice or used in place of consulting a licensed medical professional.