TOLEDO, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For the ninth year in a row, Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) has earned placement in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI World) for its sustainability performance. For the sixth straight year, Owens Corning was named the Industry Leader for the DJSI World Building Products group.
Composed of global sustainability leaders, the DJSI World is an elite listing of the world's largest companies based on long-term economic, environmental, and social criteria.
“We are honored to be recognized on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for the ninth straight year and as the Industry Leader for the sixth year,” said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mike Thaman. “Our 19,000 employees continue to take action and drive real impact for the betterment of our business, employees, customers, partners, and the world around us.”
The company uses its sustainable enterprise framework to manage the company and guide decisions, assess business performance, allocate resources and inform other strategic choices focused on both the short- and long-term time horizons. This framework was developed to better serve and communicate with key stakeholders. The pillars include:
- Financial strength
- High-performance people
- Customer-inspired innovation
- Operational excellence
- World-class sustainability
“The DJSI World index provides a valuable annual benchmark to assess our sustainability progress, performance and impact across economic, environmental and social criteria,” said Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer Frank O'Brien-Bernini. “This assessment – and its relative benchmarking against other large global enterprises – fuels our ideas, actions and resolve to continuously elevate our performance.”
Owens Corning also earned placement on the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index, which includes the top sustainability leaders from the largest 600 North American companies in the S&P Global BMI.
Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across all three of its business segments: Insulation, Roofing, and Composites. The company recently reported its sustainability progress in its 12th annual Sustainability Report. Some highlights include:
- Sustained progress against the company’s 2020 environmental footprint reduction goals. From the 2010 baseline year, Owens Corning: exceeded goals for primary energy (-26%), water (-41%), and fine particulate (-25%); remains on track to meet goals for greenhouse gas (-48% to date) and toxic air emissions (-61% to date); continue to be challenged by waste-to-landfill goal (-4% to date)
- Purchased over 1.1 million megawatt hours of renewable energy
Product and Supply Chain Sustainability
Achieved the following product certifications and innovations:
- World’s first products certified as made with 100% wind-powered electricity and reduced embodied carbon – various EcoTouch® and Thermafiber® insulation products
- First formaldehyde-free mineral wool insulation in North America – Thermafiber® sound attenuation fire blankets
- First insulation SAFETY Act Designation through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for several Thermafiber® fire barrier solutions
Energy Efficiency and Durable Material Solutions at Scale
- Hosted its second Builder Summit to help builders strengthen their businesses by building energy efficient, durable and comfortable homes
- Acquired a producer of composite rebar for a compelling alternative (better corrosion resistance, less weight and 100-year service life) to steel reinforcements in new and restorative concrete structures
Safety, Health, Employee Engagement and Community Vitality
- Advanced the goal of an injury-free workplace by reducing recordable incident rate from 2016
- Expanded its Healthy Living wellness initiative for employees and their families globally
- Increased company-sponsored volunteerism, product donations, or financial support and fundraising for local charities to 82% of its facilities
Owens Corning's 2017 Sustainability Report was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards: Comprehensive option. More information can be found at https://www.owenscorning.com/corporate/sustainability.
About Dow Jones Sustainability Index
Launched in 1999, the DJSI were the first global indices tracking financial performance of leading sustainability-driven companies. This elite listing is derived from an integrated assessment of economic, environmental, and social criteria with a strong focus on long-term shareholder value. More than 3,500 of the world’s largest companies from developed and emerging markets were invited to take part in the annual corporate sustainability assessment (CSA); 993 firms completed the comprehensive questionnaire, a 5.4% increase over 2017’s participation.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures, and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2017 sales of $6.4 billion and employs 19,000 people in 37 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning Investor Relations News