PHILADELPHIA & BRISTOL, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Comcast and ESPN today announced the launch of ESPN3, ACC Network Extra and SEC Network + on Xfinity X1, giving sports fans the ability to stream over the Internet, directly on their television, expansive coverage of college football with over 150 live games, and more than 5,000 live events annually, including international soccer, Grand Slam tennis matches, college basketball, other collegiate athletics and more. All content from across the three networks will be searchable with Comcast’s award-winning X1 voice remote and integrated into the same screens and menus as the other sports programming that comes with a customer’s Xfinity TV subscription.
“Simplicity continues to be essential in today’s dynamic media landscape,” said Sean Breen, Senior Vice President, Affiliate Sales, Disney and ESPN Media Networks. “We’re fortunate to have relationships with Comcast to seamlessly serve customers and sports fans on a platform that delivers the best of both traditional and digital video viewing experiences, and the addition of ESPN3, ACC Network Extra and SEC Network + are perfect examples of that.”
“From football and soccer to volleyball and field hockey, this launch gives college sports fans incredible access to live events from schools including Florida State, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh in the ACC, Alabama, Georgia and Texas A&M in the SEC, and dozens more from across the entire country on ESPN3,” said Vito Forlenza, Executive Director, TV Everywhere Content and Product Strategy at Comcast Cable. “ESPN3, ACC Network Extra and SEC Network + add a new dynamic to the already deep catalog of sports programming that’s currently available on X1. Combined with universal voice control and the X1 sports app, we are providing customers with the richest, most immersive sports viewing experience in the country.”
With the addition of these three online networks on X1, customers can now enjoy these types of viewing experiences:
- Finding live coverage from ESPN3, ACC Network Extra and SEC Network + intermixed alongside other live sporting events showcased within X1’s sports destination.
- Access to the Xfinity Sky Cam’s live game feeds providing exclusive angles and commentary.
- Saying “ESPN3,” “ACC Network Extra” or “SEC Network +” into the X1 voice remote to instantly discover everything available to watch live from the networks.
- Asking for a specific team such as “Clemson Football” to quickly access a team summary, including its current record and conference standing, and see a list of upcoming games airing across any network.
- While watching the networks’ live online coverage on X1, customers can follow along with real-time updates and data via the platform’s sports companion app for more than a dozen conferences such as the Atlantic Coast Conference, Southeastern Conference, American Athletic Conference, Mid-American Conference and Conference USA.
- Saying, for example, “University of Connecticut Huskies Basketball Score” for real-time scoring updates of the current game and the ability to tune-in live if it’s available to stream.
ESPN3, ACC Network Extra and SEC Network + are available on all eligible X1 set top boxes with Xfinity TV and Internet service today.
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation’s largest video, high-speed internet, and phone providers to residential customers under the XFINITY brand, and also provides these services to businesses. It also provides wireless and security and automation services to residential customers under the XFINITY brand. NBCUniversal operates news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
ESPN3 is ESPN's live multi-screen sports network, a destination that delivers thousands of exclusive sports events annually. It is accessible on computers, smartphones, tablets and connected devices through the ESPN app. The network is currently available nationwide at no additional cost to fans who receive their high-speed Internet connection or video subscription from an affiliated service provider. It is also available at no cost to U.S. college students and U.S.-based military personnel via computers, smartphones and tablets connected to on-campus educational and on-base military broadband and Wi-Fi networks.
About ACC Network Extra
ACC Network Extra is part of ESPN3, a multi-screen sports network – accessible online at no additional cost at WatchESPN.com and on all connected devices via the ESPN App. Viewers can access more than 600 exclusive live events from across the conference via ACC Network Extra, with that number growing each year.
About SEC Network +
SEC Network + is complementary to SEC Network, with digitally exclusive events from around the SEC available on the ESPN App. A channel developed by ESPN and the Southeastern Conference to serve fans of one of the nation's most elite conferences - the SEC - the network airs SEC content 24/7, including 45 SEC football games, 100 men's basketball games, 60 women's basketball games, 75 baseball games, 50 softball games and additional events from the SEC's 21 annual sports. Programming also includes studio shows such as SEC Now, The Paul Finebaum Show, Thinking Out Loud and Rally Cap, and original content such as SEC Storied and Homecoming.