HILLSBORO, Ore.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Radisys® Corporation (NASDAQ: RSYS), a global leader of open telecom solutions, today announced the release of its MediaEngine™ Virtual Media Server that supports a wide range of cloud architectures to enable rich-media applications deployed anywhere in the network – from the core to the network edge to the enterprise. Radisys has decomposed the media server architecture to simplify application development and deployment, significantly lowering cost of service delivery and accelerating time-to-market for new services. The platform offers the industry’s highest density, dramatically reducing the hardware footprint required and accelerating time to profitability for services.
- Service providers are migrating their networks from traditional telecom architectures to NFV and cloud-based architectures to support demand for contextual real-time voice and video services and immersive experiences such as augmented reality and video content delivery. This has resulted in the need for service providers to be able to scale up and down massive numbers of media server nodes that can sit anywhere in the network to support these new services.
- Radisys has decomposed its media server platform to allow control and media elements to scale independently, allowing application developers and service providers to support tens of millions of subscribers through application servers that leverage a large pool of media server resources to deliver services such as conferencing, speech recognition, and real-time video. By delivering a decomposed architecture that allows for rapid scaling in the cloud, Radisys is enabling service providers to lower costs with flexible deployment options, accelerate innovation, and reduce complexity in their networks.
The Virtual Media Server also delivers key new capabilities, including:
- Support for new NFV-ready management solutions such as ONAP and OpenStack. This enables service providers to deploy media applications on demand in a network – for example delivering edge media for real-time video to devices in a concert or sports arena, with network resources being able to be re-deployed once the event is over, all while keeping the traffic local to minimize end-to-end network bandwidth consumption.
- New advanced revenue-generating media applications, such as deep media analytics and reporting for on-demand media optimizations, and for integrated speech recognition for speech-enabled applications.
- Hardware accelerated virtualized real-time voice and video services using Web/4G/LTE networks and advanced media optimizations at the edge using Multi-Access Edge Computing platforms.
- NFV-compliant MediaEngine Management Software to simplify multi-node MediaEngine management deployed in public and private clouds.
Sue Rudd, director of Service Provider Analysis at Strategy Analytics, noted that, “Radisys’ MediaEngine has long offered scalable carrier class performance. (See May 2016 Report.) By disaggregating the MediaEngine into separate virtual media VNFs as COTS-based software deployments proliferate, Radisys helps service providers reduce time to market and scale both cloud and NFV environments. Virtual media VNFs can change the economics for scalable services that deliver video, HD audio, media stream analytics, speech recognition and more. Some of the highest performance capabilities in the network or cloud can now be delivered at a new cost effective price point.”
“The evolution of the MediaEngine Virtual Media Server to enable on-demand media anywhere in the network is transformational in matching the dynamic needs of service providers and their customers with the industry’s leading economics for one of the most demanding functions in carrier and cloud networks,” said Al Balasco, vice president, MediaEngine, Radisys. “We’re enabling our customers to achieve massive savings in CapEx and OpEx when deploying the Virtual Media Server to support millions of subscribers in a server footprint that is typically half to one-tenth the footprint of alternative solutions. Not only does this reduce costs for existing services, it also makes economically viable a range of previously cost-prohibitive services, further expanding service providers’ ability to offer new services and differentiate in the market.”
Radisys, a global leader in open telecom solutions, enables service providers to drive disruption with new open architecture business models. Radisys’ innovative disaggregated and virtualized enabling technology solutions leverage open reference architectures and standards, combined with open software and hardware to power business transformation for the telecom industry, while its world-class services organization delivers systems integration expertise necessary to solve communications and content providers’ complex deployment challenges. For more information, visit www.Radisys.com.
Radisys® is a registered trademark of Radisys. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.