NEW HYDE PARK, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kimco Realty Corp. (NYSE:KIM) announced today the release of its 2017 Corporate Responsibility Report. This fifth annual report provides a comprehensive account of Kimco’s performance on a range of environmental, social and governance aspects.
“Adaptation to change is perhaps one of the most significant contributing factors to sustainability, and it is especially critical in this time of transformation in the retail industry,” said Conor Flynn, Chief Executive Officer. “At its core, sustainability is about building a business that will stand the test of time. Our efforts are expanding the boundaries of sustainability within the REIT industry, moving beyond a traditional single-issue focus on environmental performance to include employee, community and vendor performance.”
“In 2017 we expanded employee training, recognition and wellness efforts, in addition to launching a new platform focused on driving community giving and volunteerism among our associates,” said David Jamieson, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. “We have also been responding to increasing investor demand for transparency around non-financial performance, and were proud to achieve a perfect score on the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark’s inaugural Public Disclosure Ranking.”
Kimco’s achievements for 2017 include:
- Named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index for the third time, the only retail REIT on the index.
- Completed 238 sustainable improvement projects for a total investment of $11.4 million.
- Achieved a 4.12 percent reduction in same-site greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions within operational control from 2016 to 2017.
- Diverted a quarter of all operational waste (55,491 metric tons) from landfills or incinerators.
- Produced 3,143 megawatt hours of solar energy.
- Logged 824 hours of employee volunteer service through Kimco’s Community Connection program. Beyond volunteerism, the company contributed a total of $108,000 towards a variety of charitable causes.
- Sponsored over 27,923 hours of training – an average of 51 hours per employee.
The 34-page Corporate Responsibility Report follows the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. The summary report is intended for all audiences and covers the most relevant content for stakeholders. The report appendix is designed as optional supplemental reading for those stakeholders interested in more detailed GRI indicator data on Kimco’s performance. A report supplement contains multiple years of historical GRI indicator data.
The digital version of the report can be accessed here.
Kimco Realty Corp. (NYSE: KIM) is a real estate investment trust (REIT) headquartered in New Hyde Park, N.Y., that is one of North America’s largest publicly traded owners and operators of open-air shopping centers. As of March 31, 2018, the company owned interests in 475 U.S. shopping centers comprising 81 million square feet of leasable space primarily concentrated in the top major metropolitan markets. Publicly traded on the NYSE since 1991, and included in the S&P 500 Index, the company has specialized in shopping center acquisitions, development and management for 60 years. For further information, please visit www.kimcorealty.com, the company’s blog at blog.kimcorealty.com, or follow Kimco on Twitter at www.twitter.com/kimcorealty.